Question Seeding A New Filter

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'm expecting a new Tidal 55 filter for my 20g in the next day or two. I want to replace my Marineland penguin 150 with the new Tidal 55 plus I'll be adding a Hydro 3 sponge filter to keep in the tank.

How long should I wait before taking the old Marineland out? Right now, it only has the bio-wheel and polyfill, so I'll need to run them in tandem, but for how long?

It there a way I can tell when the two new filters are ready and it's safe to remove the old one?

sinned4g63

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm expecting a new Tidal 55 filter for my 20g in the next day or two. I want to replace my Marineland penguin 150 with the new Tidal 55 plus I'll be adding a Hydro 3 sponge filter to keep in the tank.

How long should I wait before taking the old Marineland out? Right now, it only has the bio-wheel and polyfill, so I'll need to run them in tandem, but for how long?

It there a way I can tell when the two new filters are ready and it's safe to remove the old one?
I'd say like 2 weeks to be safe. It typically takes about a month to comfortably cycle a new tank but with seeding it's much quicker.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
I'd say like 2 weeks to be safe. It typically takes about a month to comfortably cycle a new tank but with seeding it's much quicker.
Cool, thank you

I'm only one week into my completed cycle, so want to make darn sure I don't crash it or have to go through a mini cycle because of some stupid mistake.

Just thinking out loud, but will removing the old filter trigger a mini cycle anyway? I mean, the bio load will remain the same, but the BB will be cut by what, 1/3rd or so...

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Might want to try this. Cut the foam out of your old filter. With your new Tidal 55, use the blue foam, add new filter floss, then your old filter floss on top and lastly lay the bag of Matrix on top. Now use your new filter with an almost instant cycle.

OP
Mongo75

Mongo75

Valued Member
Reaction score
Might want to try this. Cut the foam out of your old filter. With your new Tidal 55, use the blue foam, add new filter floss, then your old filter floss on top and lastly lay the bag of Matrix on top. Now use your new filter with an almost instant cycle.
I don't use the cartridges at all. I stuff the filter with polyfill and the BB live there and on the bio-wheel. Every water change, I squeeze the polyfill in the old water, re-form it so the dirtiest stains are hidden, and put it back in. I can move the polyfill to the new filter and put fresh in the penguin, and I was actually planning on doing just that.

This is the main I'm replacing the penguin, the bio-wheel doesn't leave a lot of room to mod the filter, and because I did a fish in cycle, I didn't want to futz with modding the penguin and losing the BB already on the wheel.

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I don't use the cartridges at all. I stuff the filter with polyfill and the BB live there and on the bio-wheel. Every water change, I squeeze the polyfill in the old water, re-form it so the dirtiest stains are hidden, and put it back in. I can move the polyfill to the new filter and put fresh in the penguin, and I was actually planning on doing just that.

This is the main I'm replacing the penguin, the bio-wheel doesn't leave a lot of room to mod the filter, and because I did a fish in cycle, I didn't want to futz with modding the penguin and losing the BB already on the wheel.
That's OK, the bio wheel harbors very little bacteria, most of what you see is hard water stains and minerals that clog it. Just move the poly fill over and you are set.

Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom