seeding a new filter - how long

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
HI everyone,

Last weekend I got a new filter for my 30 G tank, it's an aquaclear 70. I want to move my existing filter (petco 30) to a hospital/nursery tank but I'm not sure if the aquaclear has been seeded with bacteria yet. Can anyone give me an estimate of how long I should wait before moving my smaller filter over? By the way, to help with the seeding process I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start today. I'm not sure if that will speed things up.

The entire set up has been up for around 2 months. I've been keeping platies and mollies and they've all been healthy. recently one of my mollies got injured in a netting accident, also I don't want him to fertilize any more of my females so I want to move him to an isolation tank to recover and maybe later, be returned to the pet store.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They should be run together for at least 2 weeks, preferably longer, closer to 4.

welcome to fl

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
2-4 weeks as Meenu suggested seems safe, although maybe the TSS would allow you to cut down on the time if you really needed. And maybe you could dump some TSS in the new tank as well.

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks! I was thinking of just using water/gravel from my old tank in the new tank instead of TSS. Not sure if that is just as good. I have a spare bottle of Aquafin that I might try.

Flyfrod

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As stated above just run the aquaclear for 2 -4 weeks in the established tank and you should be fine. No need to move gravel.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
What I would do is move half of the filter media from the old filter to the new filter.
That being said, if you added TSS, you should be able to move the old filter whenever you want, as it is supposed to more or less instantly cycle the tank. Combine the TSS with the media-switch, and you should be fine. Of course, keep an eye on ammonia and nitrites and be ready to do some water changes, but it should be unnecessary.

Edit: I think this statement may have been overlooked, so I'm quoting it and adding it to my reply.

Tykhe said:
By the way, to help with the seeding process I added a bottle of Tetra Safe Start today. I'm not sure if that will speed things up.
It most definitely did help.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
what's aquafin?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
PLEASE remember............

Good morning and Welcome to Fish Lore!
You may find the above link helpful concerning SEEDING your aquarium.

Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sirdarksol said:
Edit: I think this statement may have been overlooked, so I'm quoting it and adding it to my reply.
yup, completely overlooked, at least by me. thanks

Tykhe

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks everyone! This is very helpful

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads