Seeding A Fish Less Cycle 55 Gallon Tank 

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Last Thursday 5/6 I got 2 small 4x4 pieces of filter from a 175 gal freshwater tank that I know was well taken care of. But not knowing I just threw it in the tank not a filter. About 2 days later I put it in a filter.
I've got another scorse for a whole used filter from a oscar tank running for 10 years with good water perimeters. Would it be safe to use this?

A Sneaky Fatman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yeah it should be fine to use. I'd give it two or three days to make sure it will work though before introducing any fish

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A Sneaky Fatman said:
Yeah it should be fine to use. I'd give it two or three days to make sure it will work though before introducing any fish
I wouldn't. In two or three days, the bacteria will die off if you aren't feeding it/ Either add an ammonia source, or add a fish or two, in my opinion;

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have Ammonia at 4ppm now got Ammonia from ace hardware read on this forum it was safe to use. I'm not adding any fish until my water perimeters are good. I'm also cycling a 10 gallon with 5 guppies, and a 6 gal with a Betta. I think I just went fish crazy. But it's hard to cycle with fish.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So I'm 15 days into a fishless cycle. And I'm not a very patient person. A little history. The tank ran 6 days with just the ammonia from tap water 1ppm. On the 6th day I got a filter from a friend with a established tank and put half in my rena canister & half in my vitalife HOB. I have the temp at 86, Ammonia at 4-5, and have a 10" air stone in tank. But everything has stayed the same no change. I move some decor today what is the slick slimy stuff on everything?

If after a few more weeks I loose my patience. What would be the procedure to start over and use Safe Start? Are does it just seem to take forever for parameters to change?

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No nitrite reading yet.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dfisherman said:
So I'm 15 days into a fishless cycle. And I'm not a very patient person. A little history. The tank ran 6 days with just the ammonia from tap water 1ppm. On the 6th day I got a filter from a friend with a established tank and put half in my rena canister & half in my vitalife HOB. I have the temp at 86, Ammonia at 4-5, and have a 10" air stone in tank. But everything has stayed the same no change. I move some decor today what is the slick slimy stuff on everything?

If after a few more weeks I loose my patience. What would be the procedure to start over and use Safe Start? Are does it just seem to take forever for parameters to change?
the slimy stuff is biofilm, it's ripe with bacteria and other microorganisms,so its a good thing.

You can still use TSS, but TSS is intended for fish-in cycling, so I can't really guide you through the fishless method.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I will double check but I think the filter came from a 40 gal tank with a oscar. the tank has been going for at least 10 years. This guy has 5 tanks and he just told me it came from his large one. Will ask him to be more specific tomorrow. But can it take up to 2-3 weeks to get your 1st perimeter change?

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sure
Cycling can to a month give or take a few weeks.
It's also possible that too much ammonia overwhelmed the bacteria from the used filter.
No nitrate reading either?

Cycling makes ya just want to doesn't it?

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Yes Lucy I'm going cycle crazy. I had never checked nitrate because of no NO2, but I just tested and it read 5.0ppm, but still no nitrite. What does this indicate? Have never let Ammonia get over 5ppm could that still be enough to overwhelm? Also would that much kill it? Sorry so many questions. I've only kept Bettas for the last 2 years.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Test your tap water for nitrates if you haven't already. Hopefully, it'll test 0.

Sometimes when a tank is seeded with used filter media it's not all that unusual to not to get a nitrite reading.

I don't really know why. This is just a guess through personal experience and observation of other member's cycles, it seems that bacteria that process nitrites is hardier and makes the transition better than the bacteria that processes the ammonia

You might have mentioned this, are you using the add and wait method or the add daily method?

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
it may sound silly, but i was told, because i added tap water, THEN watersafe, i killed everything in the tank with a clhorine dose, and had to start again. could it be something as basic as this? fish lived by the way!
my tank was then full of ammonia in 4 days, with 5 small fish. dealt with by water changes, & bacteria additives. a guaranteed way to start things, in my very limited experience. 2 weeks, good water.

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Using add and wait. Tap has 0 nitrite, 0 nitrate, 1ppm Ammonia.x

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
tony toolbox said:
it may sound silly, but i was told, because i added tap water, THEN watersafe, i killed everything in the tank with a clhorine dose
Hi Tony Welcome to FishLore!!
As long as conditioner was added right after the water, the fish would be fine.
I've forgotten to add conditioner a few times, then ran back and added it with no ill effects.

tony toolbox

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lucy said:
Hi Tony Welcome to FishLore!!
As long as conditioner was added right after the water, the fish would be fine.
I've forgotten to add conditioner a few times, then ran back and added it with no ill effects.
sorry, that read like i killed the fish!
i meant chlorine killed the bacteria, and put my cycling back. or not, as the guy advising me, was the guy selling me something after every question!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
tony toolbox said:
sorry, that read like i killed the fish!
i meant chlorine killed the bacteria, and put my cycling back. or not, as the guy advising me, was the guy selling me something after every question!
welcome tony
chlorine can kill the bacteria if you didnt add it period...but if you added it fairly soon after the water change, it won't have an effect as lucy was suggesting

dfisherman

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I never got a response from post #12. We seemed to get off into Tony. Also as per post #15 I'm using add & wait.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
dfisherman said:
Yes Lucy I'm going cycle crazy. I had never checked nitrate because of no NO2, but I just tested and it read 5.0ppm, but still no nitrite. What does this indicate? Have never let Ammonia get over 5ppm could that still be enough to overwhelm? Also would that much kill it? Sorry so many questions. I've only kept Bettas for the last 2 years.
I wouldnt add anymore ammonia until it comes down under 2-3 ppms ....5 is a bit much and over 4, seems to really slow it down....dont be sorry for the questions even with the add/wait method, it takes a few weeks....
dfisherman said:
I never got a response from post #12. We seemed to get off into Tony. Also as per post #15 I'm using add & wait.
sorry

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads