Seeded Media

1. S

SilverHallows New Member Member

After adding cycled media (in this case an extra sponge filter that has been running in another tank for a month), how long should I wait before transferring my fish? I've got a 29 gallon that I've been running for the past two weeks while I waited for my plants to establish some new growth and for algae to form for my otos. I just transferred my filter an hour ago but don't want to jump the gun if it is inadvisable.

Thanks!!

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

It depends on the size of the sponge, how cycled it was after the month, tankmates in it's old tank (like bioload strains)
    I'd say just keep testing the water every 3-4 hours to see if the new tank is cycled since reusing old media could still take a couple days

3. F

Fish-whisper Valued Member Member

Here's the deal on seeded media. Just because something been running in the tank for a month or so doesn't necessarily mean it's seeded. Your main filter, plants, substrate have all the bacteria colonies needed for the system so, that sponge may not be seeded, lightly seeded, or who knows ? I would test the sponge filter first. Do water test and see how much ammonia it has now, if none add some ammonia (1 ppm) in the tank, run 24 hrs and see if filter did its job.

Better safe than sorry.

4. bgclarke

bgclarke Well Known Member Member

Using seeded media, it can still take 5-7 days for the tank to cycle.
    That is assuming that one month was long enough to seed the sponge (wasn't in my experience) and similar or less bio-load in the new tank.

5. WendysJungle

WendysJungle Valued Member Member

When I set up my 125g, I tore down my old established 55 and used ALL of the old gravel, decor, and filter media, in addition to all the new I added. My tank still went through a mini-cycle, and took several weeks to fully stabilize. Patience is key!

6. OP
    OP
    S

SilverHallows New Member Member

Thanks, all! I have the ammonia so I'll add some and keep my eyes on it!