5 Gallon Tank Seeded Media in Tank | Ammonia

Hijadelpalmas

Hello everyone ! I just put a seeded sponge filter in my tank, but my ammonia is 8ppm. Should I wait for the BB to settle, or change some of the water ?

Hijadelpalmas

Are you starting a fishless cycle? Take it down to 4 ppm.
Ah, okay. I will do that thank you. But I also added the seeded water to the tank, is it gonna change anything ?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Ah, okay. I will do that thank you. But I also added the seeded water to the tank, is it gonna change anything ?

Do you mean water from an established tank? No it won’t do much and changing 50% of it won’t change anything. It’s the seeded sponge that will kick start it.

Upvote 0

Hijadelpalmas

Do you mean water from an established tank? No it won’t do much and changing 50% of it won’t change anything. It’s the seeded sponge that will kick start it.

Ah okay ! One more question. I was cutting pieces of the sponge because it didn't fit inside the filter, but did the sponge filter had to be soaking wet or just damp ?

Upvote 0

GlennO

Ah okay ! One more question. I was cutting pieces of the sponge because it didn't fit inside the filter, but did the sponge filter had to be soaking wet or just damp ?

Damp sponge is fine.

Upvote 0

mattgirl

According to your aquarium details this is only a 5.5 gallon tank. You don't need as much ammonia as you would for a much bigger tank. For this size I normally recommend no more than 1.5ppm.

I have to ask, How did the ammonia get up this high? Are you adding liquid ammonia? I am assuming you are doing a fishless cycle. If I am wrong and you have fish in this tank you need to get the ammonia down to .25 as quickly as possible.

Upvote 0

Hijadelpalmas

According to your aquarium details this is only a 5.5 gallon tank. You don't need as much ammonia as you would for a much bigger tank. For this size I normally recommend no more than 1.5ppm.

I have to ask, How did the ammonia get up this high? Are you adding liquid ammonia? I am assuming you are doing a fishless cycle. If I am wrong and you have fish in this tank you need to get the ammonia down to .25 as quickly as possible.

I honestly think I added too much ammonia drops, but yes I used liquid ammonia. But I'm going to change the water to lower it .

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
barbiespoodle
  • Question
Replies
Views
Azedenkae
  • Question
40 Gallon Tank Are these seed shrimp?