Seeded Gravel Question.

1. Atreyu

Atreyu New Member Member

I have been cycling my tank for just shy of a month now. My tank is finally getting the ammonia down to zero and eating all the ammonia really quickly. I've had readings along these lines for a week and a half now.

My readings currently are as follows:

Amm - 0
    Nitrite - 2
    Nitrate 10/20 (hard to tell with the card)

The nitrate is sort of doing nothing at this point. Just sitting there watching Nitrite thinking, "Do I wanna eat that? Nah!"

My ex has offered to give me a cup of seeded gravel from his tank. I am wondering if that will make a difference in getting this cycle finished at this point. My understanding is that seeded gravel is to introduce Nitrate into the cycle. I already have that, and am playing the waiting game at this point for it to just start doing its job.

Any suggestions will be welcome. Thanks.

2. D

DutchAquarium Well Known Member Member

seeded gravel just helps cycle the aquarium faster since it's adding beneficial bacteria to the aquarium. It wouldn't hurt to add the gravel, but i doubt there will be any big changes.

3. OP
    OP
    Atreyu

Atreyu New Member Member

That's what I'm thinking. This sucks. Everything is in place, just the nitrate needs to snack it up! EAT it! Haha.

4. mattgirl

mattgirl Well Known Member Member

You shouldn't let your ammonia get down to zero. The nitrites need it to continue their process. You should be dosing your ammonia back up to at least 2 each time it drops down to <.25

5. OP
    OP
    Atreyu

Atreyu New Member Member

Yeah. I have that covered. Thank you though. The ammonia is gone within 24 hours. The nitrite is doing its job really well. Just the nitrate isn't doing anything but hanging out staring saying, "Hmm...now what!?"

6. mattgirl

Fantastic. I am sorry, I shouldn't have assumed.

I guess in my defense I have found a lot of folks don't know and end up stalling their cycle. I didn't want that to happen to you too.

7. OP
    OP
    Atreyu

Atreyu New Member Member

No, no! You're all good. :) It is better to say something than not.

I'm just trying to continue to be patient for the Nitrate to do what needs done. I guess I sort of figured once it showed up in a good number it would just be like POOF...nitrite gone. That isn't how it goes at all apparently. It will be nice to have this cycled so I can actually enjoy the tank rather than find it a little stressful.

8. mattgirl

Thank you for understanding :)

Those nitrites can be stubborn little guys. They can be off the chart one day and then like magic, they will go poof. :D

Mine went from at the bottom of the chart to beautiful sky blue. It didn't make any stops along the way. When I first saw them they had gone from none to off the chart over night. At that point I was doing a 30% water change every day. On the 5th day they dropped to zero and have been there ever since then.

The main ingredient necessary while cycling a tank is patience and lots of it. :)