Seed Shrimp Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Invertebrates' started by brodylane1122, Dec 19, 2012.

1. brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I had a kazillion seed shrimp in my 20 gallon shrimp tank, which was one of the deciding factors in redoing the tank. My tank is now a bare bottom concept tank. Here's a pic.

Picture.jpg

I have noticed a small number of seed shrimp roaming around on the driftwood/moss and some on my prefilters occasionally (I get a few every time I clean the prefilters). I believe they are the few that survived the switch or they came in on the new xmas moss (got the original seed shrimp from my LFS with plants).

My question is this. I know seed shrimp are detritus and leftover eaters. I only feed my shrimp every other day and they eat it all by the time I wake up the next morning. I only feed them about 1/3-1/4 of an algae wafer and one large omega one pellet split in half each time I feed. I do feed the neons in the tank small pellets every day and a few may hit the ground, but my amanos make quick work of them. Also, I routinely (twice a week) vacuum up at least 90% of the detritus on the bare bottom. I've never actually seen any seed shrimp sifting through the detritus on the bottom. Is that enough to keep the seed shrimp population in check? I don't mind a few seed shrimp here and there, I just don't want another infestation.

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Hopefully you will receive some helpful responses today. :)

Ken

3. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

Like most microorganisms they are OK in small doses. Just keep an eye on your feeding and vacuuming and you should be fine. I have hears of pwople adding 1 or 2 small fish but of course there is a risk of the shrimp getting eaten too. Do you have a feeding dish for your shrimp? That way you can accurately see what they eat in the time.

4. OP
    OP
    brodylane1122

brodylane1122 Well Known Member Member

I do not have a feeding dish. My amanos always take the food to other locations. Since it is a barebottom tank, I can see 90% of the floor space, so I can tell if the food is eaten. And I've heard of ppl feeding a lot more than I do with no issues.

And the vacuuming will remain at twice a week, so the detritus will stay caught up with.

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't worry then. It is usually a sign of a healthy ecosystem that something else is living in there, as long as it isn't out of control I say just let them be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice