Seed Shrimp Infestation! Taking My Tank Down. How Do I Get Rid Of Their Eggs?

akitaken

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My 10g got infested with seed shrimp, blech! Since the betta that was living there recently died (RIP Baron V. Scurvy the WalMart betta, 2012 - 2018) I’ve decided to take down the tank and start over... without the seed shrimp. What can I do to get rid of ALL of them? I’ve heard you can’t kill their eggs with bleach and they lie dormant if you dry them out... So what in the world can I do?? The substrate is sand and gravel if it makes any difference.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Any seed shrimp I've had, ended up in a fishy tummy! That, and feed less as overfeeding can led to population growth.

Other than that why do you want to get rid of them? They a sign of a healthy tank.

smee82

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I would just leave them be. I love all the extra critters that turn up that are safe.

akitaken

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
aussieJJDude said:
Any seed shrimp I've had, ended up in a fishy tummy! That, and feed less as overfeeding can led to population growth.

Other than that why do you want to get rid of them? They a sign of a healthy tank.
Mostly because they’re ruining my anarchis, which was growing great before they popped up in the tank. They’re all over the remaining stems doing what I assume is munching on the leaves. They’re cool little guys and all, but I liked my anarchis!!
It’s a shrimp-only tank now, so there also won’t be any fish to snack on them. Since i’m taking the tank down anyway, maybe I can put a few endlers in there once the shrimp are out to help get ‘em all.

FlipFlopFishFlake38 said:
Why not make a colony of them as fish food?
Wouldn’t they establish themselves in any tank I fed them in? I’ve also heard they can sometimes survive being eaten because of their shells, but i’m not sure about that. It might be neat to have a jar full of them and some marino, though I think scuds would look cooler.

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The survival rate is extremely small and grossly exaggerated IMO. They not immortal!

Keystone

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept dozens of seed shrimp species - most likely they are eating algae growing on your plants and not the plant itself.

Increasing water flow and eliminating food supply is the most common cause of population crashes.

Their eggs are miscroscopic and virtually indestructible. They can survive dried out for years or in water for years until conditions are prime for hatching and appear out of nowhere.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom