See my grandmother's handsome boy!

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Beeker, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Beeker

Beeker Well Known Member Member

A little history first.
    My grandmother was taking care of my cousin's betta while she was away. Unfortunately, it lived in a bowl, about a gallon or two of water with a little plastic palm tree. They didn't know much about keeping fish. It lived a few years and died. Everyone was sad about it.
    My cousin's friend thought that because my grandmother took such good care of the fish and spent a lot of time watching it and talking to it, she must really like having a fish for a pet. So, a couple weeks ago, he surprised my grandmother with a visit and a new pet. She knows how I am with fish, so she first thought to call me. Good thing she did because, again, the fish was in a plastic bowl with about a half-gallon of water. The next day I showed up at her house with a 5 gallon tank complete with filter, light, silk plants, little rock cave, etc. She sat there stunned as I explained to her the nitrogen cycle, the needs of fish, and how wrong people at pet stores usually are. For example, the directions on the little bowl the betta came in was "feed one to two times per week." Ehem... :pokey: :;smack
    Anyway, I started the tank with a filter from my tank that has been established for 7 years while her filter was running on my tank. Everything has been going very well. Her beautiful Delta Tail betta (that's what it said on the bowl), Wanda (like I said before, they didn't know much about fish), is very happy and healthy. I stop by every week anyway to visit, so now I add a water change to my visits. I do all the work for her, since I knew when I bought the tank for her that it would be too much for her to handle. I take care of the work, and she only has to feed him and talk to him. I can see that he has grown a lot over the past 2 weeks.

Here he is. I love the little blue spot on the tip of is nose. And the tank.

Attached Files:

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

What a beautiful boy!
    It's so nice that your cousin got the fish, but you provided a nice home and do the maintenance. I'm sure your grandmother appreciates it :)

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

How sweet of you. I love the tank and decor very bright and happy. Your grandmother must be very happy to have a little friend with her. I wanted to ask the size of that filter on it though and if you had noticed the current being a little to strong for the little betta. Dont mean anything I just noticed it was rather large looking.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  4. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

What a lovely boy!

5. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Thank you all. He is handsome

Good catch about the filter.
    The filter came with the tank, but when he swims in front of the current, it does push him a bit. He's okay with it, but he does flare at the filter sometimes. I'm thinking of changing it out, back to mine. I tried adding a second cartridge, but it didn't seem to help.

6. Algae Eater

Algae Eater Well Known Member Member

He is very handsome, and he looks happy, too!

7. Furallicah

Hmm, well as long as you noticed it. Dont want our babys suffering you know. I have on my 5gal tank a whisper 3i and a tom 1-5gal filter makes for a good easy current and perfect filtration. Also in the first picture is he showing vertical bars...I cant see it all to well my eyes are already bad lol. Also I wanted to say thanks for sharing pictures he is one very lovely betta!

8. OP
    OP
    Beeker

What do vertical bars mean?

9. Red1313

Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

A beautiful boy in a beautiful home :) You're Grandma got pretty lucky with her fish and her family :p

10. Furallicah

Vertical is usually a sign of breeding but I have only known them to appear on females. I know horzontial lines are signs of stress. I was just asking if he was like that or if they appeared when he was put into the tank. What are the water perameters?

11. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

That's an HOB right? Usually the HOBs that come with the tank, you can adjust the current by pulling up the intake tube a bit.

12. OP
    OP
    Beeker

They started appearing recently. He is blowing bubbles, and sometimes embraces the filter intake. Not because of the current. He flares, shimmies, and then embraces the filter intake. I wanted to get a floating plant to see how serious he is about this. I, VERY BRIEFLY, thought about getting him a girlfriend, but I don't know enough about breeding bettas, and I don't have the time to put into it. I'm sure my grandmother would love it if I took him home with me and tried to breed him.
    Ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 5.

Thanks Cajun, I'll adjust it.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2010
  13. cajunfiberco

cajunfiberco Well Known Member Member

Personally he looks marble not striped... but I am probably wrong about that since I don't know much about marbles

14. Furallicah

Ok the water looks fine so maybe he is just a little freaked. If you start to notice him laying around on the bottom a lot and not moving to much its a sign the filter is to much for him. Just keep an eye out on him. And no dont get a female to put in there, it would end badly and they both would have ripped fins. And yeah betta breeding is time consuming lol. What Cajunfiberco said is a good point maybe messing with the intake will slow it down, just be careful not to mess up the filter.

*Edit, that was what I was thinking marbleing too, I just cant tell from the pictures. You think you can get a better one for use to look at?*

15. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Thank you.

I'll try to get a better picture this weekend on my next visit.

16. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

He is a marble......Those are not vertical lines..

17. d

damprye Valued Member Member

At least with someone that knows what they are doing the lil boy will have a happy life and in turn will make your Grandmother very happy, Congrats =D

18. OP
    OP
    Beeker

Hey MM! Thank you for clearing that up.
    What do you think about the shimmie thing I described? Do you think he wants a girliefish?

Thank you Damprye. :)

19. G

GoGreen Well Known Member Member

That's a wonderful thing you did for your grandmother, and such a sweet looking betta!
    I bet she is enjoying him a lot.

20. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

What a lovely boy right enough! Wonderful thing that you did, and she will enjoy him as much as she did before.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice