Securing Stand to Wall?

1. Crissandra331

Crissandra331 Valued Member Member

I can't take it anymore the Tank nightmares are driving me crazy. I called Allstate today and they were absolutely no help!! I'm still going to try looking into a few other sources also thought I would check on here and see if any of you had advice?

I need protection on my tanks, if something were to happen. Like freak-accident, not really a fire or wind storm. If it were to get broke I'd like some protection on it to replace or protect my apartment? Asking to much?

Next Questions, I want to find a way to secure my stand to the wall. Not sure what the best way to go about doing this, especially with the tank still in place.

[​IMG]
    Any advice is appreciated, I have the worst dreams about the most horrible things happening to them. Would love to get some peace of mind.

Thanks

2. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Look up "U" shaped mounting brackets. They can be found in tons of different sizes at any hardware store and find one type that works for you - there are different configurations of them. You'll see what I mean. Hope this helps.
    *your not going crazy Cris, but crazy to begin with :).

3. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

The sad thing is I'm not worried about my Apartment I worry for the fish! :D

I will look into that, my main concern is the baseboard heater behind the tank causing a farther than normal gap to begin with =|

Just a side note, I never use the heaters its turned off at the breaker...

Do you recommend any insurance companies or do people appraise their tanks? I'm confused

4. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

Seconding the bracket recommendation. If you're concerned about the distance from the wall just measure it before you go to the hardware store. Also check your wall for studs so you can attach them there.

5. 1971roadrunner

1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I own my appt. and just informed my home owners insurance company and had them include it in writing in my policy but they never charged me extra. I was really surprised by that but...? The gap shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure there's many brackets out there to fit the need. Just measure it and go to a large hardware store and explain it. You'll also want to try and use a screw that will go into a wall stud (wood beam behind the plaster) if possible. I'm no carpenter but...

*Ha! we just said the same thing :).

6. FiscCyning

Great minds do think alike! ;)

7. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Indeed!

So what if theirs not a stud behind where the brackets come out?

Man oh man I need a man!

Would it help finding the studs before hand so I could maybe adjust the bracket if its not directly behind?

I'm confusing myself, am I making sense to you?

8. FiscCyning

Finding the studs would definitely be a good first step. If they aren't in the right place and you don't want to move your tank, the easiest thing would probably be to put in a crossbeam that you can attach the brackets to. Find your studs, screw in a 2x4 so that it stretches horizontally between them (behind the tank stand), and then screw the brackets into that. You can always paint the wood to match your wall so it blends in more if you're concerned about the aesthetics of it.

9. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

Okay!! I think I'm finally getting a pretty good mental picture of how I'm gonna do this! Thanks soo much guys!! Think I'll head down to the hardware store tomorrow.... Then after its complete, next mission, stress free, positive dreams!

10. Rivieraneo

Rivieraneo Moderator Moderator Member

11. OP
    OP
    Crissandra331

And the adhesive is strong enough? I never realized how wobbly my stand was till I posted this thread then had a friend come by and check it out. I'm always really cautious and he wasn't? I'm not sure I'll even be able to sleep tonight...!

If it's not to much to ask would you mind posting a pic of your tank with the Quakehold on it? :)