Securing java fern?

julien0101

I've just bought a java fern attached to a coco fibre mat.
The lower part looks like a mess with the roots and fibres entangled together, some roots penetrating the mat. I know that u cant bury the rhizome in the soil
I have a fluval substrate in my tank and Im wondering how I should plant the java fern. Should I only bury the mat in the soil or leave the whole thing including the mat on the substrate surface?
Thanks a lot for the help

CoconutTheBetta

I've just bought a java fern attached to a coco fibre mat.
The lower part looks like a mess with the roots and fibres entangled together, some roots penetrating the mat. I know that u cant bury the rhizome in the soil
I have a fluval substrate in my tank and Im wondering how I should plant the java fern. Should I only bury the mat in the soil or leave the whole thing including the mat on the substrate surface?
Thanks a lot for the help
Hi! I say, to be safe, I think you should take the java fern off the mat and secure it in a way where the rhizome isn't buried. Unless someone below me says it's okay to leave the plant as is and bury the mat in the substrate, I think what I recommended would be the safest way.

Upvote 0

julien0101

Oh ok thanks
But its very hard to remove as there are lots of roots and it is stuck and entangled with the fibre
btw is the hairy mat poisonous to fish?

Upvote 0

CoconutTheBetta

I'm not sure if it's poisonous towards fish however I did a quick internet search and found this.

Plants on mesh mat growing on Coconut Fiber. Is it safe for my fish / water? | Aquarium Plants Forum | 462440

Someone said "They are safe to use but I think they may release quite a bit of tannin" and another person said "I don't have any experience with this particular scenario, but coconut huts are often used in aquariums. I think the fibres are safe if they are from coconuts, and you can just put them in the tank attached to the plants."

After those 2 replies, the OP thanked both users. No replies were said after that. From that, I could assume that they are not poisonous towards fish and it's safe to put the Java Fern attached to the mat in the aquarium.

Upvote 0

julien0101

Ok thanks. I will put them in my tank

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jetsetwilly76
  • Question
Replies
Views