Securing a tank

1. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

I'm not sure where to post this, so feel free to move it. I'm about to get a 75ish gallon tank, and my dad says I can't set it up until I know it's not going to fall on me in an earthquake (we're overdue for a big one, here in western Washington). Any ideas how I can fix it to the wall?

2. ray_sj Member Member

I don't have a 75 gal tank, but I do live in CA where earthquakes are a constant concern.

I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, but I use some heavy-duty angle iron to bolt my tanks to the wall. I screw into the studs to get proper support and I bolt the stand in at least 3 places to prevent it from tipping over.

Attached Files:

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I would use that metal around the top trim of the tank, and bolt that to the wall to keep the tank stable. If the tank is stable the stand will be stable, but securing the stand does not secure the tank. But in an earthquake, maybe the stand should be bolted too. I don;t know. But I'd definitely want the tank stabilized at the top.

I'm glad I don't live in am earthquake area....

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I was thinking that, too...

5. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Thanks, ray_sj, for the idea. I like the idea of bolting the top of the tank too. I can show my day this and hopefully it'll work out. The way I have my room planned with the larger tank, my bed is in the middle. The tank also comes with 2 10g tanks, I'm giving one to my brother for a lizard, and will probably do endlers in the other. :)

6. ray_sj Member Member

Jaysee has an important point. I forgot to mention that I have added a steel-reinforced lip around the entire top edge of my stand to prevent the tank from slipping off. Securing the stand is absolutely no use if the tank can slip off the stand. For tall tanks, you probably want to do something similar at the top of the tank.

You can probably also use nylon or steel straps (the kind used for water heater bracing). I only have a 29 gal tank, so the angle iron seemed robust enough for me. Although I'm not a structural engineer or anything. :)

7. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I was just going to suggest a steel lip around the stand.

The other thing I might think about is a piece with a hook to go onto the top of the tank back and bolt it into the bracing below to hold the tank down onto the stand. It would hide behind the tank so you wouldn't have to worry about seeing it.

8. nippybetta Well Known Member Member

Another good idea...
    I fixed my room plan so that it won't matter as much, because if it does fall over my bed won't be under it....I just hope it doesn't fall over.