Second wind.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Long story short, when Maxine died at the end of March, it was just really bad timing and the fact a fish of mine died. I know fish keeping has its highs and lows but I thought I was past the lows. Had her for four weeks with no issues then she was gone so fast. My water was perfect and I thought my care was top notch. I know its nearly impossible to judge the life of a fish from a LFS but I still care and I don't like it when something don't go the way I planned.

So, I took a break and did basic upkeep on the other tank. I just couldn't bring myself to spend any more time or even come on here to browse. It just reminded me of my failure. I'm odd like that.

The past week or two, my woman has started to ask about the tanks since I wasn't 'crawling' all over them like I use to. She finally told me yesterday that I need to get back in it because we got a lot of money invested and that 'you're going to keep using them' with the look of a woman who won't be ignored.

With that in mind, I did my first water change using warm tap water. I use to just warm up a bucket with a spare heater but that took time and I could only do so much water at once. The operation went fine so I'll be doing that from now on. That was for my tank which currently has fish in it. Tonight I'm going to take care of the one which Maxine was in.

All in all, I got a second wind and I'm ready to make the most of it. I do have a bit more cash now so I'm ready to tackle the challenges ahead.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Mosin, you're back!! Welcome back! Glad you got back into it. (I always use warm tap water, I don't have the time or patience to wait for a bucket to heat with a heater lol!)

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome back!
It really is disheartening when we lose a special fish. I think most of us can understand how you were feeling.

Glad your woman gave you that little push you needed to jump back in

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Spent $30 at the small LFS which I have always liked. Bought a bunch of plants and picked up a Pearl Gourami, he a big boy! Felt good to be looking at fish again and also felt nice to spend money at the small LFS.

Going to the layout in the 38g tonight. I'm thinking I should be pretty good but I still got budget to get a few more plants.

mosin360

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So, been almost five weeks of my second wind and in that time I got a lot of things done. The 38g has a complete decor that I just love to show off. The stock has been simple amazing. I love how they slide thru my decor, chase each other thru the caves, and recognize me when I come around. It was the tank I wanted way back when I got it and still sad it cost the life of a fish before I was able to make that dream a reality.

The 29g got some much needed decor but I wasn't sure it was done and I think I need to add a few more things before I'm totally happy with it. The Pearl Gourami was a great add who also recognizes me.

For both tanks I finally got some cheap cardboard/wax type paper from Wal-Mart to create a background. It's black and I think it helps make the tanks seem larger or at least to their full size. I would have prefered a lighter color but thats all they had and it was 50 cents for a large sheet. It also makes the tanks darker during lights off so I think it helps the fish keep their daily time cycle better.

So anyway... I think my time of second wind is over and I'm back to just normal fish keeping. It was a much neeeded boost and I've prepared myself for the time when a fish happens to leave me before I'm ready to say bye. I've started looking around for deals on tanks much to my woman's delight. I got an idea for a 20g since I could easily find a space for it. Anything larger will require some planning. I was hoping to move into my own house this fall but sometimes things happen.

So before I ramble... heres to you second wind, you did your job and lets hope I never have to see a third wind.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom