Second time it's annoying now.

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Furallicah, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

Ugh I'm running out of things to say....Sherlocks fins are yet again fading and shreading. The white in his fins gets clear and then the membrane breaks. This happened when I first got him. Now he is on a vitimin rich diet (Which I thought was the problem before because he wasnt getting enough vitimins) But now it seems to be happening again. His fins are fading some and the bottom fin....(I just forgot the name)....has ripped quite a bit. There is nothing in the tank that could of done this, and the tank's perameters are perfectly normal I just checked. I have no idea what is going on here....he was fine a week ago but its getting like it was back in January. Does anyone know what the poop is going on....:;fru:;dk

P.s. I know it is not Fin Rot.

2. Red1313

Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Have you had any sort of weather change lately?

3. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Well the temp's were in the 60's most of last week, today it droped to like 42 with a little snow.

4. Red1313

Has the heater in his tank be able to keep up?
    If he's on a good diet it could just be a genetic thing, or some sort of very opportunistic bacteria...

5. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

The tank stays at 78 degrees during the day and lowers to about 76 at night like it would in nature. Quincey is in the same tank and isnt having the issue.

6. Red1313

Hmm
    it could just be genetic, sort of like people who's hair breaks easy if guess... <shrug>
    If it's just the one boy showing it you know it's not eviro, or dietary

7. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Well the thing is when I changes his diet the first time in like two weeks his fins were better. I'll keep his eye on him and see if anyone else has anything to input. Thanks Red.

8. Red1313

What did you change is diet from and to?
    can you post the analysis (from the can) on here?

9. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Oh, sure.

For the first...month he was on Tetra Freeze Dried bloodworms which contain hardly any vitimins if any. Which I learned that wasnt a good diet to keep him on and after Plato got really badly blocked up I changed everyone over to Omega One, and Hairki frozen blood worms with the vitimin inrichedness. Which after I changed over his fins began to regrow.

The Hikari Frozen Blood worms contain, : blood worms, water, beta carotene, vitamin B12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), l-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (stabilized vitamin C), riboflavin, thiamine mono-nitrate, biotin, choline chloride, folic acid, pantothenic acid, inositol, niacin.

While the Freeze Dried had nothing.

10. Red1313

what's the Crude Protein, etc?

11. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Crude Protein 6.0% min
    Crude Fat 0.5% min
    Crude Fiber 0.9% max
    Moisture 89.0% max

Also everyother day he gets Omega One Super Color, seeing they LFS doesnt have pellet Betta Buffet. But its out puts are,
    Crude Protein 42%
    Crude Fat 11%
    Crude Fiber 2%
    Moisture 8.5%
    Ash 8%
    Phosphorus .5%
    Omega 3, 1%
    and Omega 6, .5%

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  12. Red1313

Hmm the protein and everything looks good, no deficiencies that I can see, the vitamins added to the bloodworms look ok...
    I honestly don't see anything off dietary wise.... Maybe someone else has a different idea. Sorry I couldn't help.

P.S. sorry for the delay had to make a grocery run :p

13. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Lol No problem Red, thanks for the help though!

14. Red1313

Don't know if I helped much lol
    The only thing I can think of (other then it being a quirk of his) is that the changing weather is having an affect, it seems when the weather changes with the season (ie winter - spring and summer to fall) there seems to be alot of unexplained betta troubles and/deaths.

15. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Ahhhh dont say the D word!.....XC Thats worst case possible...I would be heart broken.

16. Red1313

Lol I doubt that's his problem :p I think he'll stay around just to see how long it takes you to lose your hair over his tail :p
    It's his secret amusement lol

17. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Probely....*facepalm* Curse you Sherlock!!.....Oh well his life isnt in danger I just worry is all.

18. Red1313

I swear they like worry better then attention :p
    ... or is it that worry = more attention...

<My betta's start tapping Morse code: She's on to us, quick rock paper scissors for who plays distraction!>

19. OP
    OP
    Furallicah

Lol idk, I didnt move him and Quincey around. Quinceys side of the tank is a little less current then Sherlocks old side. Maybe that'll help.

20. Algae Eater

Algae EaterWell Known MemberMember

I hope you find out what is going on with Sherlock, Furallicah. I have a betta that is doing the same thing.

Red, that certainly might explain the rash of posts about sick bettas lately!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice