Second opinion on tank Seams

d33f

Hi There!

4 days ago I bought a new Trofis Colisa A-1800 aquarium capacity around 180 gallons.
Yesterday I discovered a nasty looking silicone seam. I also send these pictures to the store and they told me it's only from the outside, though I am not really comfortable since it looks like there are vertical striped / gaps in the seam.

What do you guys think? Is it safe to use long term?

20220627_122500.jpg
b846a99f-2e72-45f2-a261-cc85dbec8831.jpg

BigManAquatics

If it is only the outside-i can't really tell, you shoukd be good. Suppose you can always attempt a repair since the store doesn't seem like they will do anything. Might attempt to contact the manufacturer before you do anything, though.

But i am always told i am wrong at everything, so don't listen to me!

PeterFishKeepin

Hmm, I don't know much about silicon seams or any fish tanks seams but I know if theirs cracks, gaps or air bubBles you might be able to use for a while but then it might explode, best to get it replaced or refunded.

Flyfisha

As a retired construction worker that worked with glass for twenty plus years my opinion is that may likely be strong enough. What I do not like is if that is the quality of workmanship on the bit you can see that is supposed to look half decent what is the workmanship of the preparation on the glass before starting joining sheets together. How clean were the glass edges before starting? Did they care? Was it made on Friday afternoon after a late night the day before? Was a tradesman even in the building when that was chucked together.

I am embarrassed that was sold and I don’t even live in the same country.

A few minutes at the time of construction by a tradesman with a silicone gun and razor blade could have made that look a lot better. I don’t think much care was given to the job at all.

In my country I would talk to the store manager. That is not fit for purpose if it’s sold as furniture?

Yes it’s probably ok but it’s an eye sore with questionable workmanship.

BigManAquatics

As a retired construction worker that worked with glass for twenty plus years my opinion is that may likely be strong enough. What I do not like is if that is the quality of workmanship on the bit you can see that is supposed to look half decent what is the workmanship of the preparation on the glass before starting joining sheets together. How clean were the glass edges before starting? Did they care? Was it made on Friday afternoon after a late night the day before? Was a tradesman even in the building when that was chucked together.

A few minutes at the time of construction by a tradesman with a silicone gun and razor blade could have made that look a lot better. I don’t think much care was given to the job at all.

In my country I would talk to the store manager. That is not fit for purpose if it’s sold as furniture?

That would be considered "scratch n dent" on furniture in the US, sold at a discount. While it sounds like the store itself won't take it back, maybe the manufacturer would offer a rebate at least if pressed. But i can see all parties on the other side claim "function over form".

d33f

Thanks for your professional opinion. To be fair this aquarium is a Chinese brand (Trofis) sold by a store in my country (The Netherlands).

I knew there were maybe some trade-offs in terms of cosmetic quality though I except it to be safe for a couple of years. In maybe 5 years or so I'll definitely buy a decent branded tank.

My only concern is will it keep dry for 5 years, nothing more nothing less :)

PeterFishKeepin

Also forgot,

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I'm Pete

Flyfisha

I would not worry about first contact over the telephone. Of course they try and put you off. I don’t know what it’s like in your country but going in the the managers office with a pleasant smile and talking calmly about the financial transaction that has happened in his store is the next step.

Jumping up and down and bashing your hand on his / her desk is definitely to be avoided. A calm conversation just might get the right result?

edit

It’s your call what you do .
As it’s made overseas that is even more reason to say I want my money back, please.

d33f

Also forgot,

Welcome to Fishlore :)

I'm Pete
Thank you very much ^^
I would not worry about first contact over the telephone. Of course they try and put you off. I don’t know what it’s like in your country but going in the the managers office with a pleasant smile and talking calmly about the financial transaction that has happened in his store is the next step.

Jumping up and down and bashing your hand on his / her desk is definitely to be avoided. A calm conversation just might get the right result?

edit

It’s your call what you do .
As it’s made overseas that is even more reason to say I want my money back, please.
I contacted the importer yesterday through mail but have not received any response. The store would also send the pictures to the importer for their opinion.

The real Chinese company is not known / can't be contacted, though in my country the store is responsible for any warranty claims (and so far they don't see a problem, though they have seen the same pictures).

Edit: Furthermore the store I ordered my aquarium is on the other side of my country (400km away) and I ordered my aquarium online.

So going to the store is not really an option / not easily doable.

d33f

Update: The shop got back to me with a reaction. They stated I could have done the damage myself or it could be in that state when it arrived. Their opinion (only through the above pictures) is that it will be alright as long as the inside seams are ok. If I want I could fix the outside seams myself?!

Luckily I also found a picture (of the inside seams) which I made when it had arrived in the box.

89030b49-c12f-4777-8172-fba5e9c8cab8.jpeg

As it stands now, I'm waiting for a second opinion from an aquarium builder in the neighbourhood which can inspect it on location. If he states it's not safe I'll contact my lawyer and go the legal route.

What do you guys think and Flyfisha? Inside doesn't look all that great either right?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Page
Replies
Views
niswanger
  • Question
Replies
Views
Mcnugget
Replies