How long has the tank been running?
~8 months
Does it have a filter?
Yes- sponge filter with pump rated for 40 gallons
Does it have a heater?
Yes
What is the water temperature?
~78f or 26c

What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
x1 betta splendans
x3 faunus ater
x2 nerite
unknown amount of ramshorns

Maintenance

How often do you change the water?
Usually once a week but recently I fell behind due to personal reasons
How much of the water do you change?
~25%
What do you use to treat your water?
Seachem Prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
Vacuum

*Parameters - Very Important

Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
Yes
What do you use to test the water?
API liquid tests
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: <10
pH: 7

Feeding

How often do you feed your fish?
x4-5 a week
How much do you feed your fish?
3-4 softened pellets a day. 1-2 freeze-dried bloodworms soaked in garlic guard once a week.
What brand of food do you feed your fish?
Wardley, Northfin, Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods?
freeze-dried bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms

How long have you had this fish?
A year and a half
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
3 days ago
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
Lethargy, fin damage, small cotton-like growth
Have you started any treatment for the illness?
Yes. I did a salt & hikarI betta revive bath for 15 minutes and carefully snipped off the pieces of fin that were barely attached. After returning him to his tank I dosed it with malachite green and turned the lights off.
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
Minor finrot
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
Hanging out near the surface most of the day, fins more ragged than usual, small cotton-like growth

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I have a crowntail betta named Lazarus who had always had issues with his fins. They've always been curly in some spots and just generally look like hes been through ****. Despite attempting to treat this several times since I got him nothing has ever changed this.

The other day I noticed he was just kind of chilling at the top of his tank. He's not bloated and I watched him swim down without issue so I know it's not swim bladder. I assumed I was just catching him at an odd time due to my own sleep schedule has gone completely bonkers since the whole virus thing has begun. Last night I was taking a close look at him as I was beginning to get very worried. I noticed a few spots on his fins where bits of it were just barely hanging on via a semI transparent 'thread'. I also noticed what I assumed to be a light coloured poop.

Today I netted him out and into another container to do an aquarium salt and hikarI betta revive bath. During the 15 minutes he spent in the bath I carefully used disinfected scissors to snip off the hanging fin bits. I realize that might sound bad to some people but I assure you I have done my research and I only removed the parts that were already dead. It was during this time that I realized what I had thought to be a pale poop was actually a cotton-like growth. I'm not 100% certain if it is on his ventral fin or on his actual body.

After his bath I moved him back into his tank. I was going to do a water change but I did one last night and am running low on prime. I decided to dose the tank with API's super ick cure- it contains malachite green and nitrofurazone, I can provide a full safety data sheet if you're unfamiliar with it. I dosed for 15 gallons instead of the full 20 as I am mildly concerned it may affect my snails. As per the instructions my current plan is to keep an eye on him (and the snails) and wait 48 hours before repeating the dose. Another 48 hours after that I will do a 25-50% water change. The medication suggests a 25% but I would feel safer with something closer to 50%.

I'm fairly sure this plan will work but I would really like some other opinions or suggestions.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
It sounds like a decent plan in theory, although I am not familiar with a betta revive bath. Can you post a picture of the fish? My snails defenantly do not do well with m green. What does his poop look like and does he eat normally?

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I will post a photo later today when the lighting is better.

Usually his poop looks pretty normal. Typically it all comes out in one piece and is a deep brown. Since mistaking the white bit as a poop I have not actually seen him defecate but I am definitely keeping an eye out.
As for eating he has been having a bit of trouble actually seeing the food for the past month or so. He does always eat it all when he finds it though.
My snails haven't been acting any differently since dosing the tank. Do you happen to know if there are any specific signs or symptoms they might show if they're reacting tI it?

You didn't ask but I figured it might help; he hasn't been flashing at all. He has no stress stripes and his scales are all smoothed down. His fins aren't clamped. Theres no visible slime coat issues that I can see.

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I like to use Melafix and Pimafix together to treat minor bacterial and fungal infections, especially in betas.They are natural medications, simar to an herbal remedy and do not harm snails or beneficial bacteria. I have heard tea tree oil can harm the labrynth organ, but there really aren't many studies done on this and the company claims the small amount is safe, and I havent ever had an issue using it and use it all the time. There are also many other things you can add to the tank that have antibacterial or antifungal properties, I believe Indian almond leaves are one. I prefer these options vs heavy meds when possible. Especially with plants and inverts.
I often notice decreased activity and snail death when using a med the snails don't like

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
UPDATE: The cottony growth remains mostly unchange. It's on his left ventral fin on the very tip. Some of the ragged bits of his tail look grey as well. Neither of these things have spread or grown in size as far as I can tell.

He still is spending most of his time at the top of the tank but last night and this morning I have seen him taking a few laps around the mid section of the tank. He is still eating well and I have been soaking his food in garlic guard to hopefully boost his immune system.

I have done his second dose of the malachite green. If this does not work then I will wait a day or so after this treatment is finished and find other options.

of him that shows the white bit on the fin, you can also kind of see the grey on his tail . It's not the best but you can definitely get a general idea. He is bloated in the clip because he had just moment ago eaten.

EmbersToAshes said:
I like to use Melafix and Pimafix together to treat minor bacterial and fungal infections, especially in betas.They are natural medications, simar to an herbal remedy and do not harm snails or beneficial bacteria. I have heard tea tree oil can harm the labrynth organ, but there really aren't many studies done on this and the company claims the small amount is safe, and I haven't ever had an issue using it and use it all the time. There are also many other things you can add to the tank that have antibacterial or antifungal properties, I believe Indian almond leaves are one. I prefer these options vs heavy meds when possible. Especially with plants and inverts.
I often notice decreased activity and snail death when using a med the snails don't like
I'm personally a bit hesitant to use melafix specifically because of the reported cases of it harming bettas. I do have a hefty supply of almond leaves I've been leaving in the tank for quite a while though. So far my snails behaviour hasn't changed at all but I am keeping a close eye on them just in case.

Addictedtobettas said:
I would treat for fungus with something like kanaplex or apI fungus cure. Doesn’t sound like ich.
Cottony growth is a frightening sign. Do you have a quarantine tank?
I mostly am using the super ich cure because while it's targeted at ich it's ingredients also work for fungal issues. I do have a quarantine tank but unfortunately the heater for is broken. I'm going to be attempting to get another at the nearest pet supply store but currently they're only open for 3 hours a day on weekends with a limit of 2 customers in the store at a time.

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm on the lookout for other meds in the evwnt that this doesn't clear up. It's a bit difficult because here in Canada a lot of the ones that actually work aren't available. Things like kanaplex and fungus cure are things I've only seen on US sites :(

EmbersToAshes

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm not sure what to recommend since you are in Canada. Have you treated his water with anything or are you just giving him "baths?" I would try adding some meds to the tank or a QT if you have plants and inverts if you haven't already

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
EmbersToAshes said:
I'm not sure what to recommend since you are in Canada. Have you treated his water with anything or are you just giving him "baths?" I would try adding some meds to the tank or a QT if you have plants and inverts if you haven't already
He only had one bath on the first day and is currently nearing the end of his treatment with the malachite green based medication. My usual QT tank currently is lacking a heater and due to the virus my pet store is only open for a few hours on the weekends

OP
Salem

Salem

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Update: The tip of the ventral fin that had the fuzzy spot has seemingly come off. He is slowly spending less time at the surface- he's still there the majority of the time but it's getting better. His tail has a bit of finrot going on but I'm confident I can handle that without too big of an issue.
His current treatment with the super ick cure is going to be followed through to the end though to make sure whatever fungal nonsense there was is gone.

New Threads