Second "level" In A 65g Tank

cla001
...This might be the dumbest idea I've ever had crossing my mind, but if I don't run it by the community, I'd feel I missed something important lol.

Basically it was inspired by a photo of someone's small betta tank with a kind of a cradle on one of the walls attached with a suction cup. I wondered if I could do something remotely resembling this for my 65g tank - something like a "balcony"/"porch", maybe even with a different kind of substrate (e.g. gravel at the bottom of the tank, some fine sand on this balcony or vice versa) with some shelter / decor on this balcony.

I tried sketching what I am thinking about, though I am not an artist, but hopefully my weird idea is clear.

Don't ask me "why?!" - I don't know yet. For some reason I think it might be cool and fish might like it (?).

Any thoughts? Is it the dumbest aquascaping idea possible? Any practical reasons why I should never even attempt doing this?

Appreciate any and all ideas!
Thanks!

Attachments

• second_level.jpg
    second_level.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 90
david1978
I made a shelf from those stackable file holders. 4 actually it gives plenty of swimming room for the cories.

cla001
I made a shelf from those stackable file holders. 4 actually it gives plenty of swimming room for the cories.
Do you have any pictures of that setup by any chance...?

B1GD4DDY
It would appear this has been done to some degree. I even found some listings on Amazon.

5b9fa4_87311f0d0fe241ac9717fe3777fd1065~mv2.jpg

c83eaae8436490e4f7721325391a~mv2_d_5312_2988_s_4_2.jpg

Lunnietic
I want to see the finished project.

r5n8xaw00
Funny not to0 long ago I asked the same question, but your sketch is way better then mine.... Link

Kysarkel000
They sell fish terraces (I think that's what they call it?) at Petco. It's basically a fake flat rock bowl that suctions to the side of the tank and then has a column that supports it on the opposite side from the tank wall. It's pretty cool and I've thought about getting few times (it's so expensive for what it is tho!) And even thought about getting multiple And stacking them in my big tank.

The only reasonable argument for not doing this sort of this is it could fall down, or things could fall off it/ get pushed off it (by fish or by water currents) and smoosh fish and destroy your tanks aquascapes. But you could also just make it so it don't fall down lol

Also, yes, I want to see finished project too. Make sure to post pictures!!

cla001
Thanks everyone! Interestingly I haven't even tried looking for it at Amazon. So far conceptually I like this (sans the ramp lol), so will try looking around for something remotely similar.
Can't promise I will finish it lol, but if I do, I'll post it for sure.

r5n8xaw00
Here is another idea you might could work with, silicone a plate on top of a cup, or some other glassware. You could also use something like this..... I would just make sure that whatever is used for the base has a big enough foot print top and bottom for support. Mix and match as you please. Also I have researched cutting cups, and read where one person used a dremel with a cutting wheel to cut an opening out of a cup for his fish. But if you do wear protection and go real slow cutting the cup or it could break.

shelve idea.jpg.

Kysarkel000
I feel like the glass and brass tray would rust and leak heavy metals into the water...

r5n8xaw00
I feel like the glass and brass tray would rust and leak heavy metals into the water...
Yes I agree with you, but it was just an idea to start the thinking process. lol

BReefer97
Just get a suction cup window plant shelf. I can’t find any good pictures of any, but this is kind of an example of what I’m talking about. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing and just using some larger plants to cover the suction cup parts.

Attachments

• 44FA0B9A-EEB0-4E56-9132-45A85D095F75.jpeg
    44FA0B9A-EEB0-4E56-9132-45A85D095F75.jpeg
    12.9 KB · Views: 55
r5n8xaw00
Just get a suction cup window plant shelf. I can’t find any good pictures of any, but this is kind of an example of what I’m talking about. I’ve been thinking of doing the same thing and just using some larger plants to cover the suction cup parts.
We are wanting to be more creative and do something different for aquarium shelves....

BReefer97
We are wanting to be more creative and do something different for aquarium shelves....

I was responding to OP’s thread. I wasn’t giving you a direct suggestion. Lol

r5n8xaw00
I was responding to OP’s thread. I wasn’t giving you a direct suggestion. Lol
Apologize if I my reply seemed a bit sharp, I didn't intend it to be that way...

BReefer97
Apologize if I my reply seemed a bit sharp, I didn't intend it to be that way...
Oh no no! It wasn’t. I’m sorry if I was! I just thought you might have thought I was responding directly to you. It’s hard to physically type things out the way I say/think them because without hearing me say it out loud it can be perceived differently - I could see reading my previous statement in a few different tones and how it changes the way it comes off. I apologize.

r5n8xaw00
No probblam0....I don't speak Spanish or write it..lol....

Bithimala
Following this. I keep considering doing shelves for my 30 tall, so I'd love to see how this comes out.

r5n8xaw00
Could do something like this for a unique glass shelve....glass serving tray...
Using long stem wine glasses for the legs.....Link

r5n8xaw00
Or something like this, use the tray for a shelve, and the bowels for plants in an aquarium...

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Nataku
Replies
Views
Ghelfaire
Replies
Views
Al913
Replies
Views