Help Second Hand Tank

filledcolander

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey y'all. I'm new to the forum so I hope I posted in the right section. Anyway, someone left a tank by the dumpster at my apartments. As far as I can tell it's a 29gal. It has the fake wood laminate looking bracing (I think that's what it's called?) on the top and bottom. I grabbed it and cleaned it, and in the process I pulled one of the sides of the top bracing clean off of the top. The other side stayed on, but I really didn't try test to see if the other side was equally easy to remove. Should I be concerned about the structural integrity of the tank? I had planned on slowly filling it to check for leaks anyway.

Hope that I didn't flub up my terminology too bad, and I'd really appreciate any advice on how to continue. I don't have any money - only a little elbow grease put into the tank at this point so if it doesn't end up being fillable I won't be too upset. Maybe if it's not fillable I could use it for something else?

FiscCyning

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the brace on just a 29. What I’d suggest doing is filing it in your bathtub or shower stall to see if it has any leaks. That way you can fil it all the way and there’s no disaster if it leaks since the water wil just go down the drain. If it isn’t water-tight, you can either re-seal it with new silicone (less than $10 if bought from a hardwares store, not pet store) to use as an aquarium or use it for a terrestrial pet like reptile or amphibian.

OP
filledcolander

filledcolander

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
FiscCyning said:
I wouldn’t be too concerned about the brace on just a 29. What I’d suggest doing is filing it in your bathtub or shower stall to see if it has any leaks. That way you can fil it all the way and there’s no disaster if it leaks since the water wil just go down the drain. If it isn’t water-tight, you can either re-seal it with new silicone (less than $10 if bought from a hardwares store, not pet store) to use as an aquarium or use it for a terrestrial pet like reptile or amphibian.
Thanks! Would it be wise to go ahead and remove the brace or leave it? And if left how could I resecure it?

FiscCyning

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I’d suggest leaving it on, even if only for the purpose of supporting a canopy or glass top should you add one later. You can just secure it in place with silicone if you have it or even superglue. Depending on the tank, the rI'm may even be snug enough to just slide it back on and have it stay put.

New Threads