Second Hand Tank - Whats Your Opinion

catherine Parker

New Member
Member
Messages
16
Reaction score
3
Location
Wigan, Lancashire, England
Experience
Just started
I have searched the forum and didn't seem to find anything, but apologies if there is already something about this.

I am looking to get a bigger tank. I currently have a 75 litres tank which is currently cycling with fish in, I have been looking on places like ebay, gumtree and facebook marketplace, as I can't afford to buy a brand new setup complete with a cabinet at the moment as everything I have seen is too much. Is there anything I should be aware of when buying a second hand tank, cleaning requirements etc? What would be the best size 125 ltrs or 180 ltrs
 

r5n8xaw00

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,117
Reaction score
1,038
Location
Texas
Experience
1 year
There is not a thing wrong with a good second hand tank, as long as you know it has never had anything bad in it that can harm fish.
Also make sure before you buy the tank that the present owner fills it with water, so you can inspect it for leaks.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
4,654
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Check the seals, check for cracks, make sure the tank is intact - you can reseal but you can't easily redo any broken glass.
 

Sol

Active Member
Member
Messages
75
Reaction score
20
Location
Florida, USA
Experience
Just started
catherine Parker said:
I have searched the forum and didn't seem to find anything, but apologies if there is already something about this.

I am looking to get a bigger tank. I currently have a 75 litres tank which is currently cycling with fish in, I have been looking on places like ebay, gumtree and facebook marketplace, as I can't afford to buy a brand new setup complete with a cabinet at the moment as everything I have seen is too much. Is there anything I should be aware of when buying a second hand tank, cleaning requirements etc? What would be the best size 125 ltrs or 180 ltrs
Make sure is not leaking... I know we get busy thinking about size and looks ect.. but very important is the fact that you will see the tank empty and there is no way of knowing if the tank is in great conditions.
 

BReefer97

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,625
Experience
2 years
Do you have anything similar to Craigslist in your area? We find a lot of second hand tanks on the free section of craigslist because often times people just want them off of their property. You can always try and negotiate prices too unless it says “price is not negotiable,” in which case I wouldn’t even try because people get really offended by that, apparently.

To clean them we just scrub them out with an original magic eraser (ONLY ORIGINAL! It has no detergents or soaps) to get rid of water stains, and then spray it with a bleach and water solution. Rinse it out with water and let it dry out in the sun to let any excess bleach evaporate. We’ve gotten some really really old tanks where the frames would just pop off, but you can reseal them with new silicon. Just be careful because we’ve cracked a few small tanks trying to remove the frame.
 

Hipsterkipster

New Member
Member
Messages
47
Reaction score
9
BReefer97 said:
and then spray it with a bleach and water solution. Rinse it out with water and let it dry out in the sun to let any excess bleach evaporate.
What?! I thought bleach was a taboo on tanks! Now I can finally use up the last of my bleach instead of buying more vinegar!
 

619CoryFan

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
170
Location
San Diego, CA
Experience
Just started
I got mine 2nd hand. $40 for everything in my tank minus fish and plants. There are really good deals out there if you're willing to be wait for the right person to get rid of their tanks. If they have the time to fill it up so you can check for leaks, by all means fill it up. But as long as you don't see any cracks or chips, it can be resealed. What's really hard to see are the scratches, you won't see them until the tank is filled and you've been staring at it for a while. I didn't see mine until I went with black background, now I see a ton of scratches and it's bugging the **** out of me. Still, for what I paid for everything.. not a bad deal.
 

BReefer97

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,140
Reaction score
1,625
Experience
2 years
Hipsterkipster said:
What?! I thought bleach was a taboo on tanks! Now I can finally use up the last of my bleach instead of buying more vinegar!
As long as it’s regular, plain bleach that doesn’t have added fragrances and what not, yeah it’s fine to use. Just make sure you wash it out really well and let it sit in the sun to dry out completely to ensure all of the bleach evaporates. If it still smells like bleach afterwards, rinse it a few more times and let it dry a second time. I think people are afraid to use bleach because it’s obviously a strong product, but it evaporates much like alcohol does and it doesn’t leave residue.

Note: this is a bleach solution! Don’t just use straight bleach on the aquarium. Dilute the bleach a good bit with water. You want more water than bleach, I’m not sure of the ratio because I just eyeball it honestly.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
4,654
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
BReefer97 said:
As long as it’s regular, plain bleach that doesn’t have added fragrances and what not, yeah it’s fine to use. Just make sure you wash it out really well and let it sit in the sun to dry out completely to ensure all of the bleach evaporates. If it still smells like bleach afterwards, rinse it a few more times and let it dry a second time. I think people are afraid to use bleach because it’s obviously a strong product, but it evaporates much like alcohol does and it doesn’t leave residue.

Note: this is a bleach solution! Don’t just use straight bleach on the aquarium. Dilute the bleach a good bit with water. You want more water than bleach, I’m not sure of the ratio because I just eyeball it honestly.
1/9 parts chlorine to water. You can use prime to make sure it is all gone but bleach normally gases off around 24hrs, which is why you can age tap water.
 

bigdreams

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,440
Reaction score
445
Location
Connecticut
Experience
4 years
As other have said check for leaks etc, but also make sure not to overpay! In the US, stores like Petco offer $1/gallon sale... 20 Gallon tank for $20. They go up to 75 gallons, though the price point is slightly higher. My point is, don't pay $75 for a used 75 gallon tank when you could get a new one for same price. There aren't many "deals" on Craigslist in NY... Maybe one every blue moon. Usually the postings are outrageously expensive as people are trying to recoup all their money or find a sucker who will pay $500 for a 55 gallon tank. (seen those online. Crazy).
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
4,654
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
bigdreams said:
As other have said check for leaks etc, but also make sure not to overpay! In the US, stores like Petco offer $1/gallon sale... 20 Gallon tank for $20. They go up to 75 gallons, though the price point is slightly higher. My point is, don't pay $75 for a used 75 gallon tank when you could get a new one for same price. There aren't many "deals" on Craigslist in NY... Maybe one every blue moon. Usually the postings are outrageously expensive as people are trying to recoup all their money or find a sucker who will pay $500 for a 55 gallon tank. (seen those online. Crazy).
You can no longer get anything over 29 gallon for the $/gal, everything larger is 50% off, but only with the pet parks/pet rewards.
 

cds333

New Member
Member
Messages
44
Reaction score
4
Main thing with used tanks is to take a flashlight with you to look for scratches. Leaks can easily be repaired with some new silicone but scratched glass is nearly impossible to fix.

As for a stand- go buy some cinder blocks and some black spraypaint, powerwash the brick dust off the blocks and fan then dry before you paint them, they make a great stand that can support thousands of pounds and very cheap.

Petso sale ends today btw. I just got a 20 long and a 55 gal from there yesterday.
 

Mcasella

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
8,694
Reaction score
4,654
Location
Virginia
Experience
5 to 10 years
Up to 29 is dollar per gallon, anything bigger is 50% - you need a palsrewards account to use for the discount. It comes around every three to four months, petco normally send out a notification if corporate gets around to it.
 

619CoryFan

Active Member
Member
Messages
167
Reaction score
170
Location
San Diego, CA
Experience
Just started
cds333 said:
Main thing with used tanks is to take a flashlight with you to look for scratches. Leaks can easily be repaired with some new silicone but scratched glass is nearly impossible to fix.

As for a stand- go buy some cinder blocks and some black spraypaint, powerwash the brick dust off the blocks and fan then dry before you paint them, they make a great stand that can support thousands of pounds and very cheap.

Petso sale ends today btw. I just got a 20 long and a 55 gal from there yesterday.
Bringing a flashlight is an excellent idea. I'll keep that in mind next time. Ty.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
182
Guests online
2,312
Total visitors
2,494

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom