Second-hand Gravel Questions (cleaning And Mixing With Other Gravel)

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by 123, Apr 21, 2018.

1. 123Valued MemberMember

Hello :)
    I will be picking up a second-hand, 55 liter, aquarium today to upgrade my small 30 liter one. Last week I was supposed to pick up a bigger aquarium already but the person bailed on me and sold it to someone else last minute :meh:.

Anyway, when I was preparing to get a new aquarium, I was given free gravel (cca 2-3 liters) which you can see on picture as the darker stones. To me it seems as just some random stones plus it also has some seashells pieces in it, and some big fake plastic diamonds (I dont paln to use the diamonds) also some traces of dried green residue here and there (algae?). This gravel was kept in a tank with a goldfish for a year (I don't know what the goldfish died of).
    Currently, in my 30 liter tank I have 3 liters of small yellow gravel ...see on the picture.
    And the new tank that I will pick up today will most likely come with sand. I am not sure whether this was salt-water or freshwater aquarium yet, or what the fishes dies of, I will know in the evening.

I have several questions:
    - Since neither of the gravel alone would be enough to cover the surface of new aquarium (low and long), which ones do you think would look best mixed together? I think I should use the yellow one in any case, as it is in my cycled tank with all the good bacteria. I was thinking to either put the yellow on the bottom and dark ones on top, or put the sand on the bottom and yellow on top. :)
    - How can I make sure the second-hand gravel/ sand will not carry and parasites/disease? Is there a way to rinse it? Maybe boiling it? (The dark stones have been sitting dry for weeks now; the sand is still sitting in empty filtering tank which they will empty just before i pick it up)
    - Is there a way to get rid of potential salt from sand if it was used in saltwater aquarium?

I know it might be easier to just buy a new bag of same yellow gravel as I have, but to be honest, I kind of like the idea of mixing them up, the yellow alone seems a bit boring :) Also, I have to stop spending all the time on my aquariums ^^ my fishes are more spoiled than me :D . In any case, I would like to know mainly about cleaning the gravel/sand, because I could always use the remaining gravel in the empty 30 liter maybe with a Betta fish later on :)

Thank you in advance for advice and opinions :)

Attached Files:

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

I personally think mixing course and more fine of substrates won’t look very pleasing, that’s how I see it.

I do not enjoy a tank full of that yellow gravel, so I mix mine with black, and it looks pretty good. You should rinse it under hot water, boiling wouldn’t really be necessary.

3. 123Valued MemberMember

Do you think that sand underneath yellow gravel would look bad too? :) I’m thinking it could give it some different dimension. Also sand would in my mind naturally just always fall on the bottom even during gravel cleaning.

4. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

The color of the stone is just personal choice so I won't comment on that but I do see a problem with having sand under gravel.

Detritus is going to accumulate in and under the gravel so will have to be vacuumed. When you stick your vacuum tube down into the gravel to clean it you are gong to be sucking up sand. That could pose a problem.

5. 123Valued MemberMember

Oh thank you for that. I thought people vacuumed their sand just as regular stone gravel. I don’t have any experience with sand or it’s cleaning :)