Second hand fish tank clean up

Kerrykeg

Hi all

Just got a second hand 90lt fish tank and it needs a good clean cone with filter and heater what's best products to use on it that won't hurt the fish lots of water marks and limescale. Can I use normal cleaning stuff and just male sure I rinse rinse rinse and more rinse.

AquEric

Ammonia and bleach work best never put normal cleaning products in a tank oh yeah lots of elbow

Demeter

I prefer to use vinegar to remove water marks and lime. Gotta let it soak for a bit then scrub, scrub, scrub!

Travisb1297

I also prefer vinegar. I also will just spray it out outside with the hose.

StarGirl

Ammonia would probably be a good one to use since you will be dosing it for a fishless cycle anyway. ;)

Kerrykeg

Thanks all I'm not setting it up yet as I already have two small tanks up and running. I'm new to the fish world and already made stupid mistakes for advice at pet shop. So panic bought a bigger tank with no money left to set it up haha. But I wanted to get it cleaned and ready but didn't want to use anything that will harm the fish. Also would anyone be able to tell me in a 90L tank will 20% water changes be enough to keep tank running well. I'm on a serious budget. And don't want to take on a big tank and use lots of water. Sorry for all questions.

RomeoOscar

Hi, about the marks, I've heard about the vinegar, tried it, but in really old marks it's no good... I'm also concerned for contaminating the tank, so I left the marks there... If the tank is empty you can really use anything, though make sure you rinse A LOT of times... One drop of the wrong stuff and you can kill your entire tank... I'm gonna try soaking it in vinegar for a while on a used tank I got.

As for the water changes 20% a week sounds good, if you want to be on the safe side, plant it well, fast growing plants like floating plants or sessifloras, elodea, echinodorus, they absorb a lot of excess nutrients from the water column. Can also do the sweet potato with underwater roots. Awesome to keep nitrates healthy. Ideally you'd want 20-50% a week. But if you plant it well, 20 should be enough. Can even go longer than a week, if you don't have many fish, like change every other week. But weekly is ideal.

Kerrykeg

Hi thank you for all the help will try my best to clean it up.

Tallen78

Kerrykeg said:
Hi all

Just got a second hand 90lt fish tank and it needs a good clean cone with filter and heater what's best products to use on it that won't hurt the fish lots of water marks and limescale. Can I use normal cleaning stuff and just male sure I rinse rinse rinse and more rinse.
Vinegar a razor blade and a plain magic eraser

Kerrykeg

Thank you. I just need to clean and get some kinda table to put this on I have gone from 1 tank 6 fish to 3 tanks 11 fish haha.

MrBryan723

I use hydrochloric acid for really tough deposits. More effective than vinegar or bleach and easy to neutralize with a rinse and some dechlorinater.

Tallen78

Kerrykeg said:
Thank you. I just need to clean and get some kinda table to put this on I have gone from 1 tank 6 fish to 3 tanks 11 fish haha.
That’s how it be in this hobby I’m at 6

aquachris

I tend to buy the nasty old dirty tanks usually.. seems to be my thing lol. But I just use vinegar like others have mentioned - clean it outside, hose it down really good, let it sit a few days. The magic still is good ol elbow grease.

Top Bottom