Second-guessing Paradise Fish Gender

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Donovan Jones, Apr 5, 2019.

1. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

This is irony at it's finest. I just helped some people sex their paradise fish, but now I'm clueless about mine. Head to tail tip he or she is just under if not barly at 2 inches..the ruler made them curl to the side to investigate lol. The thing perturbing me is that the tail screams male, but the belly and colors say otherwise, but that could be environmental. This fish goes crazy for daphnia lol. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the blure, Phillip is feeling energetic.

Attached Files:

2. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

This one really strikes me as a female, male tails seem to be bigger than that. And are you sure there is absolutely no stress factor?

3. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

None at all, but substrate appears to wash her or him out, as well as other fish I've had in there. The tail is 90 percent of what's throwing me, as I've seen males with shorter tales, and it just seems too big for a female

4. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

I have a suggestion for a test that might work. I *think* male paradise fish react to a mirror the same way as male bettas do. Test it with other males and females you got and then check the results. If your males got angry at their reflection and the females didn't, then this test is a valid way to check it.

I also found out that the size of its belly matters, as females have a bigger one

5. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

I only have this one and a female my moms female, but that fish should have died of old age over 2 years ago, not that I'm complaining, this was my first fish. I can try the mirror test, thanks for the info

6. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

This is what I could get for pics. The gills didn't fold out like a betta, but they came out about 10 degrees. The fish flared everything and went really still, followed the mirror flaring every fin.
    My mom's s femajust sat there. I think she's too old to care lol.
    Edit..I should also add that this fish was from a chain store, so the colors or lack thereof mat be due to farm breeding.

Attached Files:

7. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

What about your other female? Did she show anything?

I had male paradise fish before, and they showed the very same behavior, but their colors were strong even though i bought them from a chain store too.

8. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

The other one just sat there. I'm pretty sure her sight is compromised too because theres blue in her pupils.

9. Donovan JonesValued MemberMember

After some looking at tons of Instagram images, I think you're right and I do have a female. I was hoping for a male, but I'm too attached to trade her in, so I'll love her all the same. Maybe I can try to find her a hubby in the future lol.

10. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

Oh yes, that's great! Hope she does well and breed later, she'll prbably give offsfring to a batch of babies with really tails.