Second Attempt At Spawn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Caldwell

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So on the first attempt I believe I had too much activity around the spawning tub causing the male to eat the eggs. So rearranged room got different shelving. I am using 12qt tubs purchased at Walmart filled just less than half full about 3 inches. I have floating almond leaf in both with other floating plants. Tubs are heated to 79 degrees (preset heater won't go warmer would like about 3 more degrees). First pair have never saw each other till today she is excited and he is going crazy. Marble blue HMPK female and blue butterfly male. Second pair is the same pair I bred last month they actually look like they could less about each other tonight will keep an eye on them may have to separate this pairing. Pair one already large bubble nest.

tubs.jpg

Attachments

OP
Robert Caldwell

Robert Caldwell

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok so work got a bit crazy but last night released the female in pair number one. This morning male is standing guard as if they have already spawned but as he built his nest under the almond leave and the sides of tub are not glass I can not tell if they have. Next time may move to an aquarium so I can see better. Pair number two male has no interest in female at all so contacted the breeder I purchased the female from and have a male on the way. Great news is male is from same line as the female so that should work out even better. I will post pictures as I can. Guanchy the female from pair one is my avatar will get you a pic of the male.

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Ok so work got a bit crazy but last night released the female in pair number one. This morning male is standing guard as if they have already spawned but as he built his nest under the almond leave and the sides of tub are not glass I can not tell if they have. Next time may move to an aquarium so I can see better. Pair number two male has no interest in female at all so contacted the breeder I purchased the female from and have a male on the way. Great news is male is from same line as the female so that should work out even better. I will post pictures as I can. Guanchy the female from pair one is my avatar will get you a pic of the male.
Great man!

If you see the male guarding the nest and not pay attention to female, you must likely have eggs!

OP
Robert Caldwell

Robert Caldwell

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So today couldn't see if pair one had fry so made the male mad and moved his almond leaf and sure enough free swimming fry. Removed male and started feeding the fry. I have viable vinegar eels and worms to start bulking the protein. Pair number two will be put together in a few days probably be a week behind pair one.

IMG_0764BETTA F1a.jpg BETTA M4.jpg Not greatest photo of male, he does look much better.

Petco is doing their $1 a gallon special so going to switch tubs to aquariums so I can see what is going on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guanchy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You can hatch bbs easily with a bottle water and air pump. Dont waste money in those fancy hatchery.

I use first bite for my fry and bbs. So I would recommend it

Last edited:
OP
Robert Caldwell

Robert Caldwell

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Today put pair two together. Young male destroyed his own bubble nest so will be looking for the rebuild. Hope he pulls it together. Fry from pair one seem to be eating well on the vinegar eels.

A milk can lol I’ve used a bottle before too
My vinegar eels are in a corona bottle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom