Secham Flourish

Nefersmum

I have been reading some of the great posts here about plant fertilisers but I have to admit I'm confused now - so many differing opinions.

I have a 90 l tank with 11 minnows [gold and white] and I'm hoping to add a couple of ramshorns. It is fairly lightly planted with about 7. I purchased some Flourish, but was concerned a day or two after putting in my first dose to find the ammonia levels rise so I haven't used it since. Of course I also use Prime on water changes

What's best to do? Should I continue to dose, perhaps using a smaller than recommended dose?

I'm also wondering when in my weekly routine I should be adding this stuff. I'm reluctant to add too many things at the one time so I'm not keen to add it with the Prime when I do a water change but perhaps I am fussing about nothing.

86 ssinit

Which flourish did you buy? Flourish has many products .

Mongo75

I have been reading some of the great posts here about plant fertilisers but I have to admit I'm confused now - so many differing opinions.

I have a 90 l tank with 11 minnows [gold and white] and I'm hoping to add a couple of ramshorns. It is fairly lightly planted with about 7. I purchased some Flourish, but was concerned a day or two after putting in my first dose to find the ammonia levels rise so I haven't used it since. Of course I also use Prime on water changes

What's best to do? Should I continue to dose, perhaps using a smaller than recommended dose?

I'm also wondering when in my weekly routine I should be adding this stuff. I'm reluctant to add too many things at the one time so I'm not keen to add it with the Prime when I do a water change but perhaps I am fussing about nothing.
I use Flourish Comprehensive in my 20 gallon with 2 anubias nanas, 1 java fern and 9 new s.repens. I add about 0.5ml to 1ml with every water change, which has been daily, since I've been doing a fish in cycle that has only just completed. The instructions say (I'm paraphrasing) a couple times weekly. I've see no ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate that wasn't to be expected with the fish in cycle. I would say just dose as usual, but I'm no expert either, so don't take my word as gospel!

What I didn't ask was, has your tank cycled? Any new additions?That could explain water parameter changes. Also, what 86 ssinit asked. Which flavor of Flourish are you using?

Nefersmum

I'm using Flourish Comprehensive. There were a couple of other issues that might have added to the spike in ammonia.

The tank was cycled and prior to this incident and had been doing well. Fortunately [touch wood] parameters seem to have gone back to a steady state and I thought I'd try again with the Flourish Comp. There are so many additives these days it's hard to know what is actually effective and what is merely designed to part us from our cash.

Mongo75

I'm using Flourish Comprehensive. There were a couple of other issues that might have added to the spike in ammonia.

The tank was cycled and prior to this incident and had been doing well. Fortunately [touch wood] parameters seem to have gone back to a steady state and I thought I'd try again with the Flourish Comp. There are so many additives these days it's hard to know what is actually effective and what is merely designed to part us from our cash.
Seriously, lol! "Help, my fish/shrimp/snails/water/etc, is, you name it", and the answer is add this, don't add that. But you read somewhere else, just the opposite, lol. There are so many additives that it's hard to keep track of which ones do what, and how they can react with others.

But back to the subject at hand, I would still use the Flourish. I haven't read that it adversely effects livestock, or water parameters. If anything, I might use a little less to see how it goes. Alternatively, stop using it altogether, if you think it's the problem, and wait 3 or 4 water changes. Make sure everything is completely stable, then dose as per the instructions, wait 24 hours and test to see if anything changes.

Unfortunately, we are the only ones that can choose what we feel is the right thing to do...

Nefersmum

You aren't wrong there. This business of lotions and potions is baffling. I'll cross my fingers and give it another try

Many thanks for the advice once again

86 ssinit

Yes flourish and plant ferts are just that ferts they’re not meds or water conditioners just ferts. Some may up your nitrate but if your doing weekly water changes (like you need to do with plants) your fine. I use flourish comprehensive,iron and potassium on my tanks. I dose 2-3 times a week. Plants grow. I also use root tabs on my crypts and swords.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TWiG87
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views