Searches limited to 20 seconds

1. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Is this limitation currently necessary? I can't tell you how many times I have hit the wrong search button and had to wait 20 seconds to search again. Would 5 or 10 seconds consume too much bandwidth?

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

It used to be 16 seconds. That 4 extra seconds seems so much longer @.@

3. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Time dilation.

4. Borisbbadd Guest

Is that somehow related to work time vs weekend time ?

5. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I hate this as well. I am the queen of hiting the wrong button! Its super annoying!

I really wish it wasn't like that. I usually forget what I was trying to do when I have to wait.

6. gourami88 Member Member

Same here...I just find it annoying.

7. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

It is bot control, if I remember correctly.

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I, for some strange reason, always double tap the "new posts" button. Never any other ones. Just "new Posts." So I have to wait longer >.<

9. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

That is to limit the load on the processor. I dropped it down to 5 seconds and we'll see how it goes.

10. Echostatic Well Known Member Member

Thanks! :D

11. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Mike.

12. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I <3 you

13. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

It is nice to be appreciated.

14. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Thanks Mike.

15. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

How's the server holding up?

16. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

It peaks at times depending on when more members are online performing searches but it seems okay so far. If we notice the forum getting slower to respond that will likely be one of the first places to look. :)

17. escapay Well Known Member Member

Thank you for changing it! I also accidentally double click on New Posts every once in awhile. Annoying to wait so long. This is much better.

18. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Yes thanks Mike!

19. LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

What a fantastic difference. Thanks very much, Mike. :;group

20. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

I've never really found this annoying. If I can't search for another fifteen seconds or whatever, I just wander off and look at another forum page, or a different website altogether.

I know that Mike is having to perform a huge balancing act here, trying to keep as many of the useful and fun bits of the forum without overdoing it on bandwidth. That's why he pared down the user info to the left of each post. We have, in the past, had some pretty big problems with forum slowdowns. Fishlore's a popular place. We often show up very high in Google rankings when you search out a topic that has been discussed here. This leads to a lot of visitors, each of whom might search out other information when they find the place.