Seals Of Canister Filter

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a fluval 404 the seal on the motorhead needs to be conditioned its getting hard and started to leak.. so my question is I have seen on line guys using 100% petroleum jelly on the seals will this be safe for the aquarium..

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If it has already started to get hard, it's time to replace it, period.

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
grump299 said:
I have a fluval 404 the seal on the motorhead needs to be conditioned its getting hard and started to leak.. so my question is I have seen on line guys using 100% petroleum jelly on the seals will this be safe for the aquarium..
For FW, it is safe, however if your seal is at that point, just replace it. The jelly will only go so far to help. As with anything, use it in moderation.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Ok thx I was asking because it's an older model and I'm having a hard time finding parts for it

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Fluval 404 Motor Head Seal Ring: p/n A20063

Try....

Amazon Canada

Big Al's Canada

Big Al's also has 404 impellers, ceramic shafts, primer plungers, quick disconnect hose assemblies, etc.

If you dont want to purchase online, I would take the o-ring seal down to your local auto parts store, or industrial supply store and have them match up a generic o-ring for you.

May be cheaper than online, if you have to factor in the price of s&h.

Here in the States, a generic o-ring of the same size would be $0.49 - $2.00 max at a parts store.

As others stated, a 100% silicone grease works well, but I would not risk the continued use of a known part that is wearing out.

I would get the new o-ring seal + lube!

leftswerve

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That oring is around 1/4" thick and 9" or so diameter. Doubtable that you'd even come close in size or $2

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your right, I knew which o-ring it was, but had a brain freeze on size.

Yeah it probably would cost more than $2, but still may be less than the fluval part + s&h, compared to a generic replacement at a local car parts store or industrual supply company.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom