Seahorses And Pipefish In A Reef Tank???

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
So I have my 100L (26g) Nano Reef tank that currently houses my pair of clowns, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 yellow coris wrasse and 1 blue sapphire damsel. Coral wise I have; Xenia, Coraliamorph, Elegance,
Zoas, Photosynthetic Gorgonian, Alveopora, fungia plate, duncan and hammer corals. I also have a medium sized Green BTA.
Could I add 1-2 Barbour's seahorse or a Zebra Pipefish if I removed the Sapphire Damsel?
I also have a 30L (8g) nano tank that is housing some 4-7cm dwarf/twig pipefish that I caught myself down at a local lake. I may add some of those if they grow some more and start eating.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Braydens Bettas said:
So I have my 100L (26g) Nano Reef tank that currently houses my pair of clowns, 1 yellow clown goby, 1 yellow coris wrasse and 1 blue sapphire damsel. Coral wise I have; Xenia, Coraliamorph, Elegance,
Zoas, Photosynthetic Gorgonian, Alveopora, fungia plate, duncan and hammer corals. I also have a medium sized Green BTA.
Could I add 1-2 Barbour's seahorse or a Zebra Pipefish if I removed the Sapphire Damsel?
I also have a 30L (8g) nano tank that is housing some 4-7cm dwarf/twig pipefish that I caught myself down at a local lake. I may add some of those if they grow some more and start eating.
Hate to say it man, but your tank is WAY overstocked and that wrasse will quickly outgrow a 26 gallon tank. I had a young female melanarus wrasse in my 36 and that was pushing it. As for Seahorses, not sure how much research you have done on them but quite frankly they are pretty boring as they just hang there and as mentioned will not be able to feed with any other fish in the tank. They also tend to be more demanding for care than most fish.

Kayla_

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I agree with Jesterrace, aswell. Your tank is way overstocked as it is. The blue sapphire damsel fish alone needs a 30gal tank, with the wrasse needing atleast a 50 gallon tank. I would suggest getting a much bigger tank before even considering adding any other fish.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Floundering_Around said:
Seahorses really need a species only tank as they will be out-competed by everything for food and may get bullied.
If you caught pipefish in a lake, they are freshwater fish and can not be put in your saltwater tank
No I caught saltwater pipefish. Its the biggest saltwater lake in the southern hemisphere. Its saltwater 100%. Freshwater pipefish are only found in the US and a couple other places and are much rarer.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Jesterrace said:
Hate to say it man, but your tank is WAY overstocked and that wrasse will quickly outgrow a 26 gallon tank. I had a young female melanarus wrasse in my 36 and that was pushing it. As for Seahorses, not sure how much research you have done on them but quite frankly they are pretty boring as they just hang there and as mentioned will not be able to feed with any other fish in the tank. They also tend to be more demanding for care than most fish.
The species of wrasse I have isn't the type that gets 1' its the 3" species. I though I had bought the big type at firt but after some research found out that the type I have gets 3" max.

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tank is Totally un-compatible with both pipe fish and sea horse, they cant be kept with those corals or fish, for aggression, flow, and sweeper tentacle issues, just a few simple reasons, the list could probably go on.

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
puffer boi said:
rip i was hoping to see some
Hey; what stopping you from setting up a seahorse tank aye?:emoji_ok_hand: It's even better to have one yourself than see pictures. If my parents would Allow I'd have seahorses, reef, native SW tank and more.:emoji_laughing: But for now Im limited :emoji_pensive:

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
grantm91 said:
You want something different and cool, how about an invert ? Fire shrimp peppermint shrimp, or maybe a procelin crab with a RFA.
They are so expensive over here in Australia though. I'm thinking of getting a porcelain crab (about $60 and 2 sexy shrimp ($35 each))

grantm91

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Ah right, never knew stuff was that expensive there, i got a pep on Saturday, it hurts giving £15 for it, so I wish you well In finding something you like which is also suitable. Those sexy shrimp I can get for £8 here, are they labeled “reef with caution” there in Australia?

GetFreshedAquariums

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
grantm91 said:
Ah right, never knew stuff was that expensive there, i got a pep on Saturday, it hurts giving £15 for it, so I wish you well In finding something you like which is also suitable. Those sexy shrimp I can get for £8 here, are they labeled “reef with caution” there in Australia?
No, Sexy Shrimp are Full reef safe to my knowledge. They scavenge for meaty foods such as Mysis shrimp, Brine etc. They just hang out all day waving their butts around :emoji_laughing:

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom