Seahorse Tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by Jona, Apr 22, 2018.

1. JonaNew MemberMember

Hello, yesterday I purchased a trio of seahorses to add to my 40 gallon tank. However, today nitrites went up to 0.25 and nitrates to 20. My ammonia is 0 and my ph is 7.9. My seahorses seem to be doing fine. They eat and go back to hanging on to the plants. But I’m worried about my male. He seems to be moving around way to much in the tank. From one side to the other side. While the other two females just stay on the plants. They also don’t go very high on the tank they tend to stay in the middle range or lower close to the sand. Here is a picture of my horses. I also have a diamond goby and a fire shrimp in there. My fireshrimp disappeared yesterday and I still cannot find him. Can anyone help please? Also yes my tank is cycled it’s cycled for two months.

Attached Files:

2. Ms rose

Ms roseWell Known MemberMember

I can't say I know anything pertaining to horses other then water parameters are key and any fluctuation is detrimental to them. Look up on YouTube Taylor Nicole Dean. She has see horses and gives a LOT if in-depth to .... on horses

3. Lorekeeper

LorekeeperWell Known MemberMember

I've never kept seahorses, but I know that they're some of the most delicate creatures in the hobby.

Sounds like if you have a nitrite reading now, you caused a bit of a mini-cycle by introducing all those seahorses at once. If you have Prime, dose the "emergency" amount to detoxify whatever you can.

As for the behavioral issues, I'm not sure, sorry. But, any type of parameter fluctuation (SG, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH) can cause stress. Your shrimp is probably hiding because of the nitrite spike.

Have you researched their eating habits and such? Seahorses are really an advanced stocking choice, and require some special care, with a lot of that care being unique to different species of seahorse.

4. OP
    OP
    J

JonaNew MemberMember

The seahorses are doing great they seem to be running around the tank hanging on to each other. It’s just I got a little nitrite reading of 0.25 and a nitrate of 10-20 which worried me. I did a 25% water change this morning. And yes I have researched their eating, I target feed them for right now and they’ve been eatin a lot. I will be feeding them three times a day. I hardly have any prime left. I have only half a capful left.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice