Seahorse Tank Setup Questions

Esimm03

Hi, I've been researching fish I might want to get and I saw some seahorses at my lfs.

Wood they be ok in a 230 litre reef community tank and do they require any special corals or are there any fish they won't go well with ?

Thanks,
Ethan

seabear

They can be aggresive and eat other fish. I would be careful.

Esimm03

seabear said:
They can be aggresive and eat other fish. I would be careful.
Ok,

I was thinking of getting some clownfish, blue cheek gobies, turbo snails,cleaner shrimp, Maxima clam,hawk fish mabey a mandarin fish when the tank is probably established.

Would they be ok with them?

Thanks,
Ethan

P.s I know I put a hawk fish on there but would they both ok with the other fish and coral aswell?

Bruxes and Bubbles

I believe that seahorses do best in a seahorse only tank as they have very specific dietary requirements, are pretty slow, and would not be able to get enough food with other fish in the tank.

Santos L Halper

Clownfish, cleaner shrimp and clams aren't compatible with seahorses. Seahorses will hitch to corals and could get stung, so you will need to research compatible corals.

Esimm03

Ok, I think I'll not get seahorses

How about the hawk fish?

jpm995

Seahorses aren't good community fish as they are such slow swimmers they can't compete with most fish for food, plus their picky eaters. Pipefish are good tankmates. Hawkfish are fine in most community tanks. Longnose hawks are a favortite of mine but need small food for their small mouths. Mandarin fish are very picky eaters and are difficult to keep.

CrazedHoosier

Xbox62 said:
Ok, I think I'll not get seahorses

How about the hawk fish?
Seahorses aren't good for beginners either. Even some advanced marine aquarists can't keep them alive.

seabear

My mom ended up taking them back to the lfs because they kept terrorizing the other fish.

Esimm03

jpm995 said:
Seahorses aren't good community fish as they are such slow swimmers they can't compete with most fish for food, plus their picky eaters. Pipefish are good tankmates. Hawkfish are fine in most community tanks. Longnose hawks are a favortite of mine but need small food for their small mouths. Mandarin fish are very picky eaters and are difficult to keep.
Hi,

By pipe fish do you men the striped pipefish?

TracyLeeAnne

Lol, seabear somehow you have managed to do a great service for the conservation of seahorses, keep up the good work!!

jpm995

Xbox62 said:
Hi,

By pipe fish do you men the striped pipefish?
Yes. liveaquaria has pics of about 5 diff. species, but care is similar for all. Like seahorses their slow swimmers and don't compete well with most community fishes. Fish like scooter blennies are good companions but their hard to feed also [slow and picky like mandrians]. They have developed many new frozen and live foods for these hard to feed fishes but I don't have the experience to say if this a good way to go [can you feed enough, how expensive]. Hope some 'new breed' sw guys can enlighten us.

Esimm03

jpm995 said:
Yes. liveaquaria has pics of about 5 diff. species, but care is similar for all. Like seahorses their slow swimmers and don't compete well with most community fishes. Fish like scooter blennies are good companions but their hard to feed also [slow and picky like mandrians]. They have developed many new frozen and live foods for these hard to feed fishes but I don't have the experience to say if this a good way to go [can you feed enough, how expensive]. Hope some 'new breed' sw guys can enlighten us.
Ok,

If they are slow swimmers wouldnt they be blown about by the powerheads?

jpm995

Xbox62 said:
Ok,

If they are slow swimmers wouldnt they be blown about by the powerheads?
Yes powerheads could be a problem if they swam directly in front of them. They usually wrap their tail around objects to stay in one place.

Esimm03

jpm995 said:
Yes powerheads could be a problem if they swam directly in front of them. They usually wrap their tail around objects to stay in one place.
Ok,

Shame, I quite liked them(might look into another tank in the future)

Could you reccomend any other colourfull/interesting community fish for a 250l community reef ?

Thanks,
Ethan

jpm995

Firefish are cheap and friendly and very pretty. Blennies and gobys are good for smaller tanks, are cheap and there's a million different kinds. Go to liveaquaria dot com and look at sw or sw beginners. They have a good care sheet for each species. I've bought from them, there good but shipping costs are high. I usually buy from lfs and just use them for a reference. Let us know what you get [and post pics].

Latest threads

Top Bottom