Seahorse Tank Build

Discussion in 'Saltwater Aquarium Builds' started by Jona, Apr 17, 2018.

1. JonaNew MemberMember

D4E22706-813B-401E-9199-9A09FD095A0C.jpegBAE2DC11-3C44-4C82-8DC4-34E619853354.jpeg My tank is cycled and ready, two days ago I got a diamond watchman goby for my 40g tank. He seems to be doing great, but also a little bit shy since it is a new environment.

My levels are:
    Ph- 8.0
    Ammonia- 0
    Nitrite - 0
    Nitrate- 10-20

So far I have dry rock, live sand, artificial plants, a heater, and a submerged filter in my tank. However, I have a good amount no of dry rock, which I feel is too much for a seahorse tank. I also provided an image of my tank. My questions are:

Do seahorses require dry rock in their tanks? When I go to my LFS they hardly have any rocks in seahorse tanks?
    Should I take out the big piece of rock to the right of my tank?
    Should I take some artificial plants out?
    Also I have led lights for daytime and nighttime should this be fine?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2018
  2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

Live rock is going to give a better hold for copepods and other small food sources for your seahorse. Keep the live rock in the aquarium and maybe wait until your live rock is established. Artificial plants are nothing to worry about, this will give a better feeling to the sea horses and maybe ever think of live plants for saltwater? The reason your lfs doesn't have much live rock is for tank cleaning reasons. But, maybe do a little research on Seahorses and the different species out their. Some species can be challenging to keep and you should do some reading up on these in order to have some experience out their.

3. 123Valued MemberMember

I would just like to follow this thread. It is my dream to one day have a seahorse tank, so it is never too early to take in some knowledge :D :)

4. GrayGray4231

GrayGray4231Well Known MemberMember

Here is a website all about seahorses, 

5. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Yes, they need it for biological filtration plus it provides housing for pods and such.

Nitrates need to come down. I'd suggest getting lots of macro algaes - caulerpa, mabye some dragons breath, cheato, ect.

Lighting is good.

Do you have a chiller? Sehorse tanks need to be in the low 70s. Also, you know that you have to feed 3-4 times a day?

6. OP
    OP
    J

JonaNew MemberMember

I’m getting a trio of seahorses from my LFS that take frozen mysis, for the algae I’m not sure if I can afford that yet. I do not have a chiller and yes they require a lot of feeding.

7. OP
    OP
    J

JonaNew MemberMember

i have a 40g tank, so far I have a diamond goby. I am planning to add a trio of seahorses. My question is will three sea horses, a diamond watchman goby, a pistol shrimp, and a cleaner shrimp be fine in a tank? I have a hood on my tank with led lights, daytime and nighttime, 40 pounds of dry rock , artificial plants, a underwater filter, a heater, and live sand. My seahorses will be eating frozen mysis since that’s what my LFS has them eating right now. Would this set up be fine? My tank is already cycled and I’m planning to get the seahorses this weekend.

8. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Several threads have been merged to keep all the information in one place, please only create one thread per topic.

9. Culprit

CulpritFishlore VIPMember

Are you going to keep your house in the low 70s? Like 68-70 all the time?

10. OP
    OP
    J

JonaNew MemberMember

I can, a the moment i have the diamond goby at 74. But I can always go to 68-70. I live at a chilly place so I think I should be fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice