Seahorse doing well and more on the way.

Claire Bear

I have one healthy seahorse that appears to be doing well. They are not loners but do best in groups/herds-or at least a pair. I have ordered three female H. erectus and they will be here next week-I hope.
I decided that I would have to bite the bullet and do it but I ordered from a different source this time. It is Seahorse Source.
I know I said the last group was the last but given the lone survivor and I really want to hang on to spunky-he is hilarious watching the clownfish-those eyes are captivating!
So, there we go! I started something and I would like to finish it-hoping this is not a huge mistake!

aliray

I have my fingers crossed for you. I am so sorry you lost the others. I had no idea how expensive they were. They are so darn cute. Think positive. Do you know if the one you have is a male? Alison

Claire Bear

I believe it is a male. And if not aliray, it could transition to a male at some point.

aliray

Wow that's neat! I think I am going to have to read up on them as I know nothing about them. Alison

1971roadrunner

I'm sure these horses will do well, the problem you had was a one we keepers have which there is little control over. Great luck with the new ones and keep us posted.

* you did help me, in that I went over my surge protector situation - thank you

Claire Bear

Thanks 1971roadrunner and I hope so. I think I have learned my lesson as well. I spoke to the owner, Dan of Seahorse Source today.
His wife called yesterday and talked with my spouse. One thing they stressed was acclimating in a 10 gallon tank with an airline to assure that they are eating. They also suggested putting paper on three sides of the Q tank (I had read this as well) and leaving them there a bit to acclimate-maybe a week or so, This way, if they are not eating, I will be able to spot it right away. He said that sometimes seahorses have a hard time with change and that that may have been the issue. We talked about my setup and he seemed to believe that I have it set up appropriately. He also agreed that a water issue would have effected the scooter blenny and inverts but they were fine. So, we will do all the steps he suggested and see what happens-I really have a good feeling about the Seahorse Source! Dan and his wife were awesome!

1971roadrunner

claireputput ,I don't mean to pressure you but have you made some changes to surge protectors or heaters etc...?

*I found many online that are more reliable than the ones we find on "even" quality power strips and these are inexpensive and simple to add.

Claire Bear

Yes, 1971roadrunner. I went to BRS and was going to buy the heater but hesitated. I pulled the heater and after talking to Dan at Seahorse Source, I have decide to completely remove the heater.
I am in need of replacing about 5 heaters-have pulled three of the five and have added surge protectors to all tanks at this point.

1971roadrunner

OK, great research on your part again...may I once again suggest one if needed - JBJ? These are expensive if needed but save money and worry in the long run...highly recommend.

* I've had mine for nearly three years and all those I deal with at my Saltwater club and my own research have had them for longer with no worry and really like 'em.

Claire Bear

Thanks 1971roadrunner, good to know. I may have at least one of those. I have purchased so darn many items based on suggestions!
All good-at least most!
And on a great note-
LITTLE SPUNKY IS SNICKERING AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, knock on wood, looks like, at least at the moment my seahorse is out of the woods!

1971roadrunner

You rock Claire and will pull this through.

* Hey, I just met Jon Bon JovI at my delI while I was getting an bacon, egg & cheese. I was never a big fan of his but my girlfriend (starry eyed) fell in love with him !?

Lucy

That's great new Clair!
So happy for you and Spunky!

Claire Bear

Here is a current picture Lucy and 1971roadrunner

spunky and the clown.png

Sorry to burst the bubble but I love Bon JovI as well!
Thanks Lucy, it is looking very good! I have a clown in the holding tank with him and may move it out or wait with them together until the other seahorses get here-just not sure at this point!

1971roadrunner

that guy has nothing on me !

Claire Bear

Update: Still in the breeder net with the clown. Moving around and keeping an eye on the clown. Seems to have pulled through and is regularly eating now. I am not preparing any more baby brine shrimp at this time but have it full time on Mysis shrimp!

aliray

When are you getting the new babies? He is so cute, glad to hear he is still doing well. Alison

Claire Bear

HI aliray. They will be here on the 9th of January-if weather permits. I hope that with all my experience, they do fine. This guy is a real trooper!

aliray

Clairputput, Glad to hear, looking forward to more pics. Alison

Kat66

I'm wishing you the best of luck with your new seahorses , however I feel the need to let you know seahorses do not change sex. Sometimes it may seem like they do , a late blooming male may look like a female until his pouch is fully formed , and a female can have what looks like a psudo pouch which is really just a patch of skin. She will still produce eggs and will pair up and mate with a male.
I love my seahorse too , they have loads of personality !

Kat

Claire Bear

Thanks Kat66, I had done some research and thought I had found that the H. erectus can and does change their sex. I will reread through my info and do a search of the web.
I do know clownfish are capable of this and when I saw this regarding the H. erectus, I felt relief.
Of course given that might not be a possibility, perhaps later I will actually find another.
BTW, the lone survivor is awesome and very healthy now!

Latest threads

Top Bottom