SeaChem Tidal 75, maintenance recommendation

FranciscoPagan

Greetings!

Recently installed a SeaChem Tidal 75 on my 37g tank, my question is, in relation to the foam and the matrix, how would the maintenance go? How often should the foam and matrix be clean/replaced?

Thanks!

jtjgg

i have the 110, but same basic principle. the filter media gets "cleaned" every week during my weekly water changes. i've had the foam for 2 yrs, getting a little thin but still holding up. The matrix should last 10+ years.

i have foam, polyfil, matrix, purigen, matrix. the matrix and purigen goes in one bucket of old tank water. the polyfil and foam can be in the same bucket, but i do them separate, they're both quite dirty.

the polyfill can be reused a couple of times, just squeeze it out a couple of times to get most of the gunk out.

the foam i smack it hard multiple times against the side of the bucket.

the bags of matrix and purigen I just gently agitate each bag.

full

full

full

FranciscoPagan

i have the 110, but same basic principle. the filter media gets "cleaned" every week during my weekly water changes. i've had the foam for 2 yrs, getting a little thin but still holding up. The matrix should last 10+ years.

i have foam, polyfil, matrix, purigen, matrix. the matrix and purigen goes in one bucket of old tank water. the polyfil and foam can be in the same bucket, but i do them separate, they're both quite dirty.

the polyfill can be reused a couple of times, just squeeze it out a couple of times to get most of the gunk out.

the foam i smack it hard multiple times against the side of the bucket.

the bags of matrix and purigen I just gently agitate each bag.

full

full

full
Nice!! I currently just have the foam and the matrix, is it recommended to add more stuff? Just never had this type of filter before

RonP

I have 2 75s that have been running in my 55g for nearly 2 years. I only clean the filters when flow rate is reduced.i have the original foam, then a layer of Pollyfill, then matrix. The polly is replaced when it gets too compacted, otherwise it's rinsed clean. Both matrix and foam are just swisher in tank water.
Great filters IMHO.

jtjgg

Nice!! I currently just have the foam and the matrix, is it recommended to add more stuff? Just never had this type of filter before

yes, the polyfill gets quite dirty, so if you only have the foam and matrix, the matrix will get clogged up after just a few weeks. matrix and other ceramic biomedia is very porous which = lots surface area for the beneficial bacteria to grow on.

the purigen and other stuff is optional.

check out this guide on filter media

Diy Media Guide For Top Fin Silenstream, Aquaclear And Other Hob Filters | Aquarium Filter Forum | 385506

FranciscoPagan

RayClem

The Seachem Tidal 75 is a great filter for a tank of your size.

Foam plus Matrix is really all that is necessary, but one thing you might want to consider is using a prefilter sponge on the intake tube of the filter. The prefilter will remove much of the larger debris from the water so you will need to clean the filter proper much less often. You can let the filter run until you start to see a decrease in the flow rate. Remove the prefilter sponge and rinse it out in dechlorinated water. Then put it back on the intake. If this restores the water flow, you might not need to clean the sponge in the filter. If you do clean the filter, do not clean the prefilter at the same time. You want to minimize disruptions to the biofilter. When you clean a filter, you will remove some of the beneficial bacteria. The bacteria will recover in time, but by cleaning only portions of the media in one session, it will recover more quickly.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
Cody
Replies
Views
JPH1970
  • Question