Seachem Tidal 55 Hob A Very In Depth Review

Tanks and Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tanks and Plants submitted a new resource:

Seachem Tidal 55 HOB a VERY In Depth Review - Seachem Tidal 55 HOB Review

Could the Seachem Tidal 55 take the throne from the Aquaclear Series HOB Filters? You decide!

Ever since I have started this hobby I have always heard that the Aquaclear filters were the best and even if you look up videos on YouTube you will find that the Aquaclear Filters dominate the number of videos about it.

When I first saw the video of the Seachem Tidal Filter In 2016, I instantly knew that this was a filter I wanted to get. At the time it was not available in stores and was...
Read more about this resource...

Jocelyn Adelman

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Have to say I overall use aquaclear, have forever. When tidal came out I was dying to try it...
Overall I prefer the ac 110 over the tidal 110 just for maintenance.... disassembling and cleaning the ac is a snap, the tidal is a huge pain in comparison....
on the flip side though the ac creates more of the waterfall, while the rim of the tidal is lower... if using a hob for high tech the tidal is likely more efficient.

Great review!!!

Tanks and Plants

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Have to say I overall use aquaclear, have forever. When tidal came out I was dying to try it...
Overall I prefer the ac 110 over the tidal 110 just for maintenance.... disassembling and cleaning the ac is a snap, the tidal is a huge pain in comparison....
on the flip side though the ac creates more of the waterfall, while the rim of the tidal is lower... if using a hob for high tech the tidal is likely more efficient.

Great review!!!
Thanks!

Robert Fletcher

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
For me living in the UK is the Seachem Tidal series are available. The Aquaclear series for some reason is not. Hagen UK told me the retailers elected not to stock it. I am yet to find a LFS that agrees. I did but a AC70 from Germany. I was not wholey satisfied with the AC70. Very messy to clean and despite what has been said here the level adjuster on the AC70 keeps slipping back. On the Tidal 55 I find once you have set it it will stay put. But I have a rimless tank I can see issues if I had a rim.

I was going to put my old media in from the canister but changed my mind and used the Seachem Matrix that came with the Tidal 55 running the canister in parallel until the media has change to build up BB.

I just checked on the filter before writing this and I see the blue peg was up. I think this may be due to me adding floss after the sponge and before the Seachem Matrix Carbon.

I don't see a film on the water but then I am not feeding much enriched brine shrimp. I do use it be more of a treat. I will give them requalar and see what happend. I have read that surface skimmers are not very effective in fresh was as they are with marine systems due to the specific gravity.

I also agree with using silicon grease. I don't here any sound from mine it is silent.

Lastly, I was running a APS (SunSun rebranded) canister filter and I can assure you the Tidal 55 is running like a dream compared to that monstrosity.

Thanks for the great review

Robert....

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom