Seachem Tidal 110

yinoma2001

Hope everyone is doing well! Due to a stroke of luck (and planning), I was able to get a new 75 gallon tank and stand for $5. (Gift cards, sale, and additional 20% discount for the win!). I have a 40G breeder with an Aquaclear 70 and 35 on it, but they will not fit on the rim of my new tank and I'm leery about ripping out a part of the plastic frame so that the AC70 can fit on it. So I went ahead and purchased the Tidal 110. Questions:

1. Would folks go with the Tidal 110 or the AC110? Suprisingly, the price point is the same for both. I used to hear how Tidal filters were much more expensive. I do like the simplicity of the AC lines, but when we had power outages, they would never start up which is a concern when we go on vacations, etc.

2. Skimmer on the Tidal 110. I've read mixed reviews on it, and mostly, that this is the only iffy thing about it. If the water level gets too low, does it really make an annoying sound?

3. unrelated to filters, but this is the biggest tank I've ever had. I started with a .5 gallon betta tank and here I am at 75. I got the Marineland Ensemble, and things look level when I put the tank on it. Should I be putting something else underneath it to keep it leveled, etc.? Or if it's level, it's good?

kattiq

My tank is not anywhere near the size of yours, but I have a SeaChem Tidal 55 and it's hands down the best filter I have had so far. I have used the AC line on previous tanks, but the SC is just so much nicer and it's very powerful and quiet.
As far as leveling it, as long as all 4 corners are level on the stand you should be good. Some people use Styrofoam in the middle of it if there are gaps in the middle.

Upvote 0

AmnScott

In my opinion, the AquaClear 110 is more powerful compared to the Tidal 110. I had a Tidal but exchanged it for an AC because the surface skimmer just made the whole unit weaker. And the AquaClears have more room for media. Only downside to the AC line is the AquaClears dont self-prime. But IMHO that's a minor con. A cup of water is all an AquaClear needs to prime.

The smaller Tidals are nice, but when it comes to larger tanks I think the AC110 is unmatched when it comes to HOBs. Just my 2 cents.

Tidals and AquaClears both have some degree of filter bypass (almost every HOB does to an extent), but I noticed the Tidal had significantly more than any of my AquaClears. Tidals are nice, but I'll stick with AquaClear. There's a reason they've been around for 15+ years.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
  • Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
Chalupacabra