Seachem Stability

houiej

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read that Tetra Safestart is really good but it's not readily available where I am. I'm looking for something to jumpstart or speed up the cycle, or at least to protect my cycle when I rinse my filter/change filter media.

Would Seachem Stability be the next best alternative after TSS?

I've been following the TSS vs. Stability debate and also read the Seachem Q&A Tech Support thread. I know regular dosing is recommended monthly or after water changes even after the initial 7-10 days dosage. What I'd like to know is how necessary is this? Anyone had any success without the regular dosing with Stability as a one-time beneficial bacteria solution?

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used it with success. I've only added more when adding more livestock (just as a safe measure).
I've never used ongoing, and my parameters are stable.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If your tank is propey cycled, you don't need to worry about rinsing your filter media in discarded tank water (*never* use tap water, it'll kill your beneficial bacteria). You also keep using the filter media until it falls apart. If you know you'll need to replace media, about a month or so beforehand, add a second set of whatever media it is (except carbon) to your filter so the BB can build up on it and then you can discard the first.

-Lisa

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If your tank is propey cycled, you don't need to worry about rinsing your filter media in discarded tank water (*never* use tap water, it'll kill your beneficial bacteria). You also keep using the filter media until it falls apart. If you know you'll need to replace media, about a month or so beforehand, add a second set of whatever media it is (except carbon) to your filter so the BB can build up on it and then you can discard the first.

-Lisa
i thought rinsing media in tank water from time to time was ok? i'm not sure why proper cycling would cause the media to never need to be rinsed..... am i just lost?

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have used stability, and it did fail me...so be very cautious either way.....I only have to rinse my media once every couple of months...just to get any build up off...but if you are overstocked/overfeed, you would have to do it more often....or if your filter starts slowing down ...on tanks cycled less than 3-4 months, you shouldnt need to rinse at all unless you did any of the above

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I hardly ever rinse mines as 2 are the cartridge types and just have a wall of bacteria. The sponges need rinsing more often though, but not all the time at all!

I have never used Stability but I did have success with TSS. I used the whole bottle and left it completely alone for 10 days. Be careful with any of these products as they do have the potential to fail, but as you have seen, varies success stories all round. I cannot stress enough how important it is to monitor the tanks during this time.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom