seachem stability?

goggles2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
has anyone ever used this before? its a seeder for starting your cycle claims to work in 24 hours as long as you keep adding it everyday for the first week

im curious because this is the one of the few seeders that i have access to and i wonder how well/if it works

capekate

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
products like Stability and another called Cycle are only going to work if you continue to use them. They can also mess up your water tests as well.
I would suggest doing what Richard has posted, in going with a fishless cycle.

Fishies-for-me

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I used stability and I am not sure how good it worked as I didn't have a test kit back then.....I do know that I had a guppy that just about checked out and daily water changes brought him back literally from deaths door. I thought he was dead every day for a week before he improved...I have 5 established tanks now so if I needed to start another one I would just use filter floss shoved down in the filter to seed a new tank.

goggles2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
hmmm really?

well i been trying to cycle it without seeders for about a 2 weeks now using media from an established tank but ive gotten zip

ammonia just keeps climbing no matter what....

and if this stuff is all pointless then why does everyone around here keep saying to use tetra safe start and biospira? stability is similar idea as those

those are both seeders arent they?

you guys are confusing me

nitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hey Ben, I had trouble with my cycle starting but it ended up that I was just adding way too much ammonia. Which method are you using? The add ammonia every day (or fish food every day) or add ammonia until it drops? It sounds like you're using the first, which I started off with too and it seemed like nothing was ever happening.

Alessa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
hmmm really?

well i been trying to cycle it without seeders for about a 2 weeks now using media from an established tank but ive gotten zip

ammonia just keeps climbing no matter what....

and if this stuff is all pointless then why does everyone around here keep saying to use tetra safe start and biospira? stability is similar idea as those

those are both seeders arent they?

you guys are confusing me

because both biospira and tetra safe start are the only products that have the real, water version of the bacteria. Seachem stability, cycle and probably stress zyme have the terrestrial, aerobic version of the bacteria, which dies off after one week releasing back the ammonia and causing you to start form 0 all over again...

nitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Well I don't think that Stability could be a terrible thing. Seachem produces one of the best water conditioners on the market in Prime, so I don't think Stability would be a bad product. Give it a chance if you'd like and let us all know if it worked or not.

I've seen threads about people having success with it and others where people say it did nothing so why not give it a chance?

If you have a friend with a tank, you could ask them for a piece of their filter media or some of their gravel. With the piece of filter media, you'd just stick it in your filter. With the gravel, you could add it to your gravel if it matches or put it in a new, never washed in soap, panty hose. If you search the forum for it (or somebody else posts how), you'll find it. These will help cycle your tank faster and save you money.

goggles2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
yea i have already added some media from an established tank to help chug along

nitz

Valued Member
Reaction score
Then I don't think you should bother with the Stability. Just wait it out. What are your readings (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) looking like?

EDIT: Since you've got fish in the tank already, keep up 50% daily water changes to keep the ammonia and nitrite levels low so they don't affect the fish too much.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
yes i am feeding my tank with fish food (yes i know it can build up phosphates....)

oh and stability says it has both aerobic and anaerobic bacteria
Phosphates may actually be necessary. Over my past year at Fishlore, I've heard of people using the pure ammonia method of cycling who have just never seen their tank cycle, so they start over with another method.
I've wondered about this until two things happened: First of all, I wrote an article on cyanobacteria, a nasty infection of this bluish "algae" that can kill off a tank. In doing so, I did some research and discovered that not all cyanobacteria was bad and, in fact, some were nitrifying agents. Second, someone here made an off-hand comment that they had heard that you needed phosphate for the cycle.
Putting it all together, it makes sense. Cyanobacteria are sort of the link between algae and bacteria. They possess traits of both, which includes a plant's need for phosphorous. All of the fishless cycling methods, with the exception of pure ammonia, add phosphorous in some amount to the tank. In addition, most water supplies have phosphorous in them. (It's actually a major problem for watersheds, since it feeds algal blooms in natural waterways). However, some water supplies are very lacking in phosphorous, especially if you use heavily filtered water.

The important part for nitrifying bacteria in aquariums isn't just aerobic vs anaerobic, but also aquatic vs terrestrial. As Alessa said, most "cycle" products have the terrestrial version of nitrifying bacteria. It works for awhile, but eventually drowns, releasing the ammonia back unless you add more. Unfortunately, during this time, it usually beats the aquatic bacteria out when competing for food, and so the aquatic stuff simply doesn't grow.
The end result is a continuous mini-cycle that is only held in check by constant addition of this product.

goggles2

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
well i tested my water today and.....

ammonia dropped from 0.50 ppm to 0.25ppm

nitrite remians at 0 ppm

i dont have a nitrate kit at the moment (empty)

ph is about 7.4 ( a tad high but our water here resists ph changes like crazy)

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom