Seachem Stability seems to be working.

lazylathe

My 30 gallon is just too small to make me happy so I have upgraded to a 55 gallon bow front tank!
The 30G will house my gang of Tiger Barbs, they seem to love the fast flowing water.
The 55G is in the living room downstairs and I always have done fishless cycling and most likely always will.
Thirty plus years ago I would set the tank up and get everything running and add a bit of flake food to start the cycle and wait a month and check the water.

Now in the 21st century I discovered a myriad of bottled products designed to kick start the nitrogen cycle.
I have read a lot about the Tetra product as well as the Seachem Stability.
The pet store only had the small Tetra bottle so I went with the Seachem as a first foray into this way of cycling a tank.

The tank was scaped a bit and filled with water and I added some Prime to the tank to take care of the chlorine etc.
I allowed it to settle for the remaining day just to make sure everything was good. I added a bit of established media to the canister filter to give another boost of dying bacteria to lick start the cycle. A small pinch of flake food and a few sinking pellets were added as well.
The following day I added the Stability as per the directions and have been doing so for a few days now and the results have been astounding!

Day 1 - Added Stability. zero ammonia and nitrates.
Day 2 - Added Stability. 0,5ppm ammonia.
Day 3 - Added Stability. 0.5ppm ammonia
Day 4 - Added Stability. 0ppm ammonia, 5ppm+ Nitrite. Added 1 capful of Prime to help the bacteria along.

I will update this but so far I am very happy with this product and the process.
It definitely does not provide enough information on the bottle and this would lead to numerous crashed cycles.
There is no point in adding Stability to the tank without a food source for the bacteria to consume and this is not mentioned.
I also turned the temperature of the tank up for the cycle, about 27C, helps things happen a bit faster.

Some quick pics of the tank!

Another rescued tank!
You must be registered to see images

Went with a Fluval 307 canister filter, always used Eheims.
I will add more bio media to the baskets when I open it in a few months time. Designs have really changed for the better!
Quick release valves on the canister are super convenient and it is almost silent when running!

And finally all set up and running. The new Hygger LED had not arrived yet, great light!!

I am very interested to see how long it takes to eradicate the Nitrites!

Azedenkae

The presence of nitrite is promising!

Though I can't be sure if it's working because of Stability or since you added the established biomedia. :p

Dunk2

My 30 gallon is just too small to make me happy so I have upgraded to a 55 gallon bow front tank!
The 30G will house my gang of Tiger Barbs, they seem to love the fast flowing water.
The 55G is in the living room downstairs and I always have done fishless cycling and most likely always will.
Thirty plus years ago I would set the tank up and get everything running and add a bit of flake food to start the cycle and wait a month and check the water.

Now in the 21st century I discovered a myriad of bottled products designed to kick start the nitrogen cycle.
I have read a lot about the Tetra product as well as the Seachem Stability.
The pet store only had the small Tetra bottle so I went with the Seachem as a first foray into this way of cycling a tank.

The tank was scaped a bit and filled with water and I added some Prime to the tank to take care of the chlorine etc.
I allowed it to settle for the remaining day just to make sure everything was good. I added a bit of established media to the canister filter to give another boost of dying bacteria to lick start the cycle. A small pinch of flake food and a few sinking pellets were added as well.
The following day I added the Stability as per the directions and have been doing so for a few days now and the results have been astounding!

Day 2 - Added Stability. 5ppm ammonia.
Day 3 - Added Stability. 5ppm ammonia
Day 4 - Added Stability. 0ppm ammonia, 5ppm+ Nitrite. Added 1 capful of Prime to help the bacteria along.

I will update this but so far I am very happy with this product and the process.
It definitely does not provide enough information on the bottle and this would lead to numerous crashed cycles.
There is no point in adding Stability to the tank without a food source for the bacteria to consume and this is not mentioned.
I also turned the temperature of the tank up for the cycle, about 27C, helps things happen a bit faster.

Some quick pics of the tank!

Another rescued tank!

Went with a Fluval 307 canister filter, always used Eheims.
I will add more bio media to the baskets when I open it in a few months time. Designs have really changed for the better!
Quick release valves on the canister are super convenient and it is almost silent when running!

And finally all set up and running. The new Hygger LED had not arrived yet, great light!!

I am very interested to see how long it takes to eradicate the Nitrites!
Congrats on the new tank!

You added a small pinch of flake food and a few pellets on day 1 and your ammonia tested at 5 ppm on day 2? That seems very quick and very high given what you describe as the ammonia source? Or did you mean 0.5 ppm?

Also, I’m curious what you mean when you say “added 1 capful of Prime to help the bacteria along”?

I’ve used Seachem Stability and, based only on my experience, I’d attribute the nitrites appearing so quick to the seeded media you added rather than to the Stability. What is the nitrite level?

lazylathe

Today there was some ammonia again and the nitrite is still high.
Ammonia was 0,25ppm and nitrite is around 2ppm now.

Dunk2
In original post it was 5ppm plus, the liquid was dark purple.
We will see what happens.

I found the ammonia spike tonight a bit odd though.
There is a snail in there that must have come in on one of the plants and it is very happy and growing...:)

Azedenkae

I presume you are measuring ammonia using the API test? If so, nothing too concerning. It can often read as if 0.25 even when it's probably zero or close enough to zero.

Dunk2

Dunk2
In original post it was 5ppm plus, the liquid was dark purple.
We will see what happens.

There is a snail in there that must have come in on one of the plants and it is very happy and growing...:)
If your ammonia test was dark purple, I assume you are using something other than the API test? API would be dark green.

Don’t be overly concerned about the 0.25 ppm ammonia. . . You still have a fair amount of nitrite to clear until you’re fully cycled.

Are you still ghost feeding the tank?

lazylathe

If your ammonia test was dark purple, I assume you are using something other than the API test? API would be dark green.

Don’t be overly concerned about the 0.25 ppm ammonia. . . You still have a fair amount of nitrite to clear until you’re fully cycled.

Are you still ghost feeding the tank?

My Nitrite was dark purple a few days ago, ammonia was very slightly off yellow with a tinge of green. Using the API masters kit.

Today the ammonia was 0ppm and very yellow.
The nitrite was 0,25ppm and was a very light purple/bluish colour! Tomorrow it may be zero, hopefully!

I did add a small pinch of Omega flakes again yesterday to keep the cycle going.

I copied this from my original post:
Day 2 - Added Stability. 0,5ppm ammonia.
Day 3 - Added Stability. 0.5ppm ammonia

Ammonia showed up day 2 and Nitrites showed up day 4.
The Prime was added because I thought it may give the bacteria a break to allow them to multiply more with slightly lower levels due to Prime locking them for 24 hours. Not sure if it was the right thing to do but no damage done.
Tank looks beautiful and clear now.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Valyrian
  • Question
Replies
Views
mattgirl