Seachem Stability or Tetra Safe Start?

1. R

RAWRitsEDWIN New Member Member

Which would be best? I like Stability because I like the Seachem Prime product so I'm assuming since they are the same company, it must be a good product as well. But I read all over the internet that TSS is best, but all I find are posts from a year ago or something. Maybe things have changed.

2. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

I'm probably one of Fishlore's biggest advocates for Seachem products ;)

But, although I can't get TSS in Australia, the evidence of TSS being the best (if not the only effective bacterial supplement) on the market is undeniable.

There is still a question amongst members and aquarists that Stability may not be the right bacteria (land based vs aquatic).

Here's an old discussion that may interest you: https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/64826-research-results-seachem-stability.html

3. ucdcrew

ucdcrew Valued Member Member

I've used both. I liked TSS better, after I stopped adding the seachem I had a mini-cycle.

4. Donnerjay

Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

I have a strong opinion about Stability, having used it. My opinion is this: it's garbage. Useless. Do not WASTE a penny on it for it will NOT work.

There. I said it.

(I love Prime).

5. imperess

imperess New Member Member

i used stability worked for me :) but i'll be trying safe start this week in a new tank.. i'll post how it goes.

6. ryanr

ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Glad to see you had success with Stability.

Just an off-topic question - why wouldn't you just seed media from your 55 for your new 20? Just a thought (no need to reply in this thread)

7. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Neither...... I've never used either one nor do I plan on it in this lifetime. I just believe cycling with patience is better for the fish than cycling with a magic potion.

8. ploopy

ploopy Valued Member Member

I have started many tanks with tss{6-7}].Didnt have enough filter media at the time to get them all going.It has not failed me yet.Just make sure you follow directions to the t and if you use prime or another product to wait 24hrs before adding tss.Do not worry what your readings are during the 2 weeks after you put it in.