seachem stability+matrix=cycled...

1. Mehehe Initiate Member

hi once again!

Theres alot of threads on this already, but they contradict each other like black and white. I also realise this comes down to preferences somewhat but i'd like to know what are your experiences with this two products?

I've cycled my previous tanks the traditional fishless method with no additives,and except for the last one it went smoothly(took over two months due to stall). A close friend of mine has 5 healthy tanks and used seachem stability with matrix to cycle his tanks. According to him,its worked like a charm and just took two weeks.

However im seriously skeptical about these "bacteria in a bottle" products although it would be a blessing if it did actually work.

2. ryanr Moderator Moderator Member

Ummm, ok, soooo, it's a bit of a can of worms you just opened ;)

One thing most of the US Fishlore members know is that Tetra Safe Start plain and simply CAN work if used as per the directions. (I say US members [USA] because I can't get TSS here in Australia - long story)

Seachem Stability - last I checked, there is still a lot of debate. I am personally an advocate of all things Seachem (no I don't work for them :p )

But here's an old thread from February 2010 (yep 2 years ago) https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/64826-research-results-seachem-stability.html

We had a healthy discussion about Stability...... my personal opinion is that it works. Again, this is MY PERSONAL OPINION based on my experience! (sorry to yell, but it's a hot topic, and it's my opinion) [please don't scold me]

There was some other non-conclusive experiments done by members at the time (circa April 2010) that resulted in "it doesn't work as advertised"

I know this doesn't help your question, but it's probably the best I can offer.

3. Mehehe Initiate Member

Thanks for the info ryan,and uh i see that i did open a really big can of worms lol.I got an empty tank around here,will try and test it out,only way of knowing if it actually works.

4. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I personally have never used Stability, but I have read a lot of post on this forum where people claimed it does not work. It get's grouped in with bacterial additives such as Cycle, in that it contains land based forms of the bacteria and will drown in an aquatic environment after a week or two and therefore more needs to be added with each weekly water change to keep the tank cycled. (but there are some who claimed success with Stability)

Matrix on the other hand (from what I have read) is a product that you put into your filter and it removes nitrites and nitrates. My thinking here is that since the nitrites are being removed by the Matrix, your nitrite consuming bacteria never gets a chance to develope since the Matrix starves if off by taking the food source away. So your tank is never cycled naturally and if the Matrix stops working you'll end up with a nitrite spike.

SafeStart on the other hand (when used correctly) has a very high success rate. It leaves your tank cycled with the naturally occuring, self sustaining bacteria that would develope over time in a normal cycle. There is nothing to add on a regular basis, and nothing that needs to be periodicly replaced. Plus if you ever want to use some of that filter media to jump start the cycle in a new tank, you can use it since the filter media will contain all the correct bacteria.

Additionally, SafeStart will have your tank cycled in 14 days. I think cost wise it has to be cheaper to use SafeStart, than buying Stability and Matrix.

5. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

I also have tried stability. Although ive never heard of Matrix, the Stability works great if you add it for the life of the tank. (like jd suggested, its like the product cycle)

6. catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

I used Stability in one tank many years ago. Because you are adding the bacteria weekly, the tank appears to be cycled. The problem is that it is not stable. Miss a dose, even by a day, or not measure the correct dose and things go south quickly. I would never recommend this type of product with the more sensitive fish as they tend to be always stressed and diseased IME.