Seachem Seagel For Algae?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by ballpointftw, Apr 10, 2018.

1. ballpointftw

ballpointftwNew MemberMember

Hello,

I have a 55 gallon freshwater aquarium. It consists of 2 goldfishes.

I've been getting alot of algae at a fast pace since I got new LED lights and since I've been using tap water. My guess is that my tap water is high in phosphate.

I used to get freshwater from my local fish store but it has become more difficult to get there at a routine because of my new work schedule.
    So in turn, I just ordered Seachem Regulator and Alkaline Regulator to keep my PH level at 7.4, since my tap has a level of PH 8.2.

Now, since I got the PH problem down, I need a filter media that'll keep the algae at bay. I honestly don't want to get another fish that eats algae.

I'm wondering if Seachem Seagel would help or if there are any other chemical filter medias I can use to keep the algaes to the very minimum.

Thank you!

2. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer RamjetWell Known MemberMember

Granulated ferric oxide (GFO) is the standard for reducing phosphates; my recommendation - measure your PAR, adjust, large, multiple and regular water changes, reduce feeding... And if you're using high intensity light, start co2 injection; only way to beat algae in a hug light system.

3. OP
    OP
    ballpointftw

I've looked up co2 injections and honestly, I don't know if I can really invest in that right now. Let's say I get the granulated ferric oxide, will that be enough to combat algae?

Thank you for your feedback, btw

4. Rojer Ramjet

Rojer RamjetWell Known MemberMember

Homemade c02 reactors are essentially free.

GFO has SOME small benefit in a freshwater system; problem is that it'll become exhausted really, really fast; you'll be changing it out every week or so - in a reef, there's little nutrients to begin with, but in freshwater, there's tons.

I pay $15 a pound for GFO from Bulk Reef Supply - you'll pay more locally. A lot more - $25 a pound.

I go through 4 pounds a month...

You're far better off adjusting your lighting and doing large, regular water changes.

5. OP
    OP
    ballpointftw

Holy crap, didn't know that I would have to use so much of it so frequently.

Okay, guess I'll look for a different lighting because this new LED lights I have doesnt have lighting adjustments.

And I'll look into the co2 injectors, maybe it is worth the investment. I don't trust myself to make my own.

Thank you again for your feedback!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice