Seachem Safe

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by oscardude, Jan 9, 2013.

1. oscardudeValued MemberMember

Is seachem safe the same thing as prime only in a powdered form?
    And, does anyone use it?

2. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

I use it and love it! It's more concentrated than safe so it goes farther. I've got the 250 gram container. 1/8th of a teaspoon treats 25 gallons.

3. oscardudeValued MemberMember

Thank you. Does it mix easily or do you have to stir all day?

4. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

uhh, I've never stirred any of my tanks. I just add it right before I start filling my tanks up, I use a water changer.

5. oscardudeValued MemberMember

I have to use buckets on two of my tanks. Just wondering how hard it is to mix. Do you just put the powder straight in or mix it in a cup or something first?

6. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

When I use it in a bucket, I put the safe in first, the act of the water hitting the bucket stirs it plenty. It dissolves super fast.

7. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i have never noticed this stuff. ill have to give it a try, except i just ordered a gallon of prime so it might be awhile lol.

here is seachem website if you havent seen it...

8. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

From what I've seen, the 50 gram size is a different concentration than the 250g size. I suggest getting the 250g. I think I paid $8.99 for my container, usually lasts me about 6 months, with a 125 gallon and 3 55 gallon tanks.

9. ryanrModeratorModerator Member

:;du Thread moved to Water Conditioners

Quote from Seachem:  
    "Safe™ is the dry version of Prime® and shares all of it’s advantages; however, Safe™ is even more concentrated than Prime®."

10. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

that seems kinda strange... what about the kilo? i know i run out of prime very fast so this stuff would be very nice for the next time i run out.

i paid $75 for my gallon of prime.

11. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

how long does the gallon last you?

12. bankruptjojoFishlore VIPMember

i have no idea first time i bought one :) i was sick of buying 500ml for $13 so i got a gallon this time. also got a half gallon of garlic guard for $20.

500ml lasted maybe a month or 2 but that is really a guess, ill have to keep track better.

13. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Concentration for safe is the same for everything 250 grams and up. I get six months out of a $9 container for safe and I've got 9 tanks. Might be a good thing to look in to :D I swear, it takes some self control to not overdose. such a small amount goes so far.

14. oscardudeValued MemberMember

Concentration is the same for 250g and up.
    Edit: cichlidnut beat me to it :p

15. LunasWell Known MemberMember

Does it smell like prime cause I just got my first bottle of prime and I was able to smell it when I walked in the door smells like a cross between cat poop and burnt rubber. And sealed tight I can still smell the bottle in the other room I might have to get a glass mason jar and seal it in there.

16. btate617Well Known MemberMember

When I used a water conditioner for water changes I would prefer to use this product.

It is overall cheaper to use than the other stuff for those of you with mutiple tanks. I used Prime for years, and liked it, but if you have multiple tanks this is the best bang for your buck.

Brian

17. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

i have the Kilo, got it February of 2011 and it will probably last me to the fall of this year and that was with 3 Discus tanks and WC's everyday:) and 6 other tanks, great product.

18. Disc61Well Known MemberMember

actually smells worst i think.

19. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

Safe goes farther than Clroamax. 1lb of cloramax treats 18,000 gallons of water. 250 grams of Safe treats 50,000 gallons of water.

20. btate617Well Known MemberMember

Is that using it for the removal of ammonia or using as a conditioner?

Brian

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice