Seachem Purigen lasted less than a week!

applejax

I've been dealing with cloudy water that's probably due to overfeeding (figuring the overfeeding is contributing at a minimum). I have to overfeed to get food past our piggy angels and platy. I figured I'd give Purigen a try as lots of people seem to like it.

Well, it hasn't made a visible difference in the water yet. I did a water change today and filter maintenance, and found the Purigen I put in about 6 days ago was brown! Does Purigen typically last longer, or is it common to need a recharge that quickly? If the former, then is this indicative of some other problem?

Madeline Peterson

It typically lasts longer, and it turning brown so quickly means that yes, you are overfeeding. What are your water parameters like?

TClare

Yes purigen should last a lot longer. I once removed some that had been in the filter for nearly 4 months and it was only partially brown. For regular feeding I feed both slow sinking granules and fast sinking tablets at the same time. The angelfish go for the slow ones when they are still floating mostly. while they are busy at the top, many of the other fish feed together on the sinking tablets, so everyone gets a chance without having to put too much in.

applejax

TClare said:
For regular feeding I feed both slow sinking granules and fast sinking tablets at the same time. The angelfish go for the slow ones when they are still floating mostly. while they are busy at the top, many of the other fish feed together on the sinking tablets, so everyone gets a chance without having to put too much in.
oooh that's a good idea. Maybe some slow sinking pellets would keep the angels busy enough as a distraction.

jtjgg

I use Purigen in my pair of tidal 110s in 75g tank with large comet goldfish, i only need to recharge about every two months.

do you have any driftwood in the tank? maybe its absorbing tannins.

applejax

jtjgg said:
do you have any driftwood in the tank? maybe its absorbing tannins.
I did buy a small piece at a lfs last weekend...

Latest threads

Top Bottom