Seachem Products

Discussion in 'Meds, Additives and Supplements Reviews' started by AquariumNoob1988, Nov 23, 2016.

1. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

hello everyone i have a planted 29 gallon and i dont want to use CO2 but i want too have plants would any of these products be good for them? has anyone used them and what are theyre purposes?

also which one would be safe for fish i have heard of one of these is deadly to fish if not used properly idr which one though any help would be great

2. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Flourish-good all-around fertilizer for all plants
    Flourish Trace-good for adding the trace elements (micronutrients) that are sometimes needed if they don't come through the fish waste or natural water. Some areas have more minerals in the water than others.
    Flourish Iron-especially important for boosting the natural red in certain varieties of plants.
    Flourish Nitrogen-If you have a really heavily planted tank and/or low bioload there may not be enough nitrogen for your plants. It's a macronutrient, macro because plants need more of it.
    Flourish Phosphorous-Another macronutrient, with Potassium (the K in NPK on fertilizer packets) one of the "big 3" for plants. You may not want to mess around with individual macronutrients if you're not an advanced grower or have high maintenance plants. Chances are you'll get by just fine with general fertilizers if you have easy plants with a relatively slow growth rate and low-moderate planting density.

My betta tanks, low bioload and relatively high plant density, got by just fine on a half-dose of micronutrients with iron for the red ones. Without the iron the plants that would have been red were more of a green-peach colour. Blah:)

3. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

ty aqua it gets confusing all these products lol so flourish and iron would be my best bet? do i have to dose regularly or once a week? btw Happy Thanksgiving

4. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

I think that Flourish already has iron in it but if you have red plants then a little extra will definitely help to bring up their colour! I would start small, with half dose or less, and work up (or down) from there. When you start getting algae you know you're dosing too much! Base your dosage on whatever the instructions on the bottle are.

Do you have any rooted plants like Swords? You'll probably want to get some root tabs for those to target the fertilizer to their root zone;)

5. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

yes i have an amazon sword and rotella and another grassy like plant idr the name but it looks like jungle val just a brighter green color ill attach picture so that helps a little better with indentifying also im looking at a red rubin sword but ive been told those require co2 if you want them too stay truely red [​IMG]

also is it true if you dose too much flourish and iron you rish killing your fish thats the rumors ive been hearing also i have the flourish root tabs in although my plants are doing good i feel that they can do even better

Last edited: Nov 24, 2016
  6. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

You would have to way over the top overdose to kill anything. I dose way more excel than recommended and my fish are thriving but i am heavily planted. Seachem products doses on the bottles are doses meant for light to moderately planted tanks (according to their website). I use the entire flourish line but I agree with Aquaphobia, start with half doses and watch to see how your plants react. As Aquaphobia also said, start with Excel (liquid co2), root tabs, flourish and trace. If your plants start showing signs of deficiencies then buy what they are lacking and add it to your regime. You can check your nitrates and if they are low add nitrogen and so forth. Also don't dose everything all in one day with the exception of excel which you would dose everyday. Trace can't be dosed on same days as flourish so alternate them. Iron can't be dosed with phosphates. Good luck and yes it seems complicated but once you get into it, it starts to make sense I promise.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  7. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

thank you both of you and yes it seems like its complicated from doing it alot ill get it mastered i ordered flourish and excell also my nitrates never go above 10 for some reason so they could he eating alot of that because it used to go up to 40 before i added live plants

8. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

10ppm is a good number. I know some people shoot for 20ppm but I try and keep mine between 5 and 10 due to my oto cats being sensitive to higher nitrates but without nitrogen my nitrates are undetectable. See already able to scratch one thing from the list you won't need haha. If you're using root tabs for your swords chances are you may not need it due to some being leeched into the water column but just watch for iron deficiencies. One thing I've noticed with plants is they won't die overnight. If you notice something going wrong then just correct the issue and the plants should be fine.

9. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

well i did notice my amazon sword getting a slight slight yellow along the edges of one of its leaves does that mean its missing nutrients?

10. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Just one leaf was affected? Probably not a nutrient problem.

11. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

Yes its only on one leaf it has a slight brown developing on it too is that bad?

12. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Is it an old leaf or a new one? Is it near the filter or heater? In line with any sunbeams?

13. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

i think its one of the original leaves it had when i bought it definatley not a new growth one

14. bettafanaticWell Known MemberMember

Is it a new plant? How long have you had it? Sounds like it's just adjusting to your tank which is normal.

15. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Old leaves die, it's a fact of life. I don't think you need to worry about the plant:)

16. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

ive had it about a month but it was in the local pet shop even longer

17. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

18. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

Sounds good to me!

19. AquariumNoob1988Valued MemberMember

got my seachem flourish, trace and iron now for the rotella its slowly turning green because of the absense of co2 do i put the iron in as well? i put 1ml of flourish in yesturday is it safe to put the iron in? and trace not sure about the combo but one of my weed like plants is turning yellow i think i trimmed the roots too much

20. AquaphobiaFishlore LegendMember

The iron will bring out the reds but isn't there some iron in the Flourish?