Seachem Prime

Discussion in 'Water Conditioners and Supplements' started by zyntec724, Jul 3, 2015.

1. zyntec724Valued MemberMember

I just picked up a bottle of prime to use in my 29 gal tank. I was curious how you guys dose your tanks during a water change. Do you dose the buckets you use then add water to the tank? Or just add the tap water to the tank then your dose? Also when you dose the tank do you dose for the amount of water you change? Or do you dose for the whole tank?

Sent from my SM-N910P using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

I fill with a hose, then dose for the entire tank volume.

3. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTSWell Known MemberMember

Dose each bucket, I don't know that it makes too much of a difference, it certainly won't harm the fish but my concern has always been the bacteria in my filter. I fill my 3G buckets and as its filling I put in about 1ml of prime (it's actually too much but it has never hurt anything) then once filled I leave the bucket to sit for about 1-2 minutes before adding to the tank.

4. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

I do this backwards, dose the tank with Prime, then fill tank up.

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

I do the same, I put the Prime first, then I fill up the water straight from the yard faucet. I'm using an Aqueon water changer, 50 ft.

6. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

I put total dose of Prime and Neutral Regulator in and then I fill the tank up.

7. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

What's Neutral Regulator?

8. OP
    OP
    z

zyntec724Valued MemberMember

Before prime I used a Declor that was 5ml to 10g, so it was easy to correctly dose a 3g bucket correctly. Not so easy with prime

9. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Just put more than dosed, it doesnt hurt. The label even says you can use up to 5x the recommended dose without any harm.

10. OP
    OP
    z

When you add the prime do you dose the full amount of the tank each time? Or just for the amount of water you removed?

11. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The full amount, I have 75 gallons so I put 2-3 cupfuls.

12. Rivieraneo

RivieraneoModeratorModerator Member

I always dose the total tank volume regardless of the water change amount, so for a 55G tank, I dose 6mL of Prime

2 - 3 cap fulls would be the dosage for 150G

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 4, 2015
  13. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yea but it doesnt hurt to put more. Like I stated above, the bottle even says you can use up to 5x the normal dose without consequence :D

14. OP
    OP
    z

This is the first time I've used prime, I've been told great things about it. Hopefully it will help with the ammonia issue I've been having. So will this work while trying to cycle a tank seeing it removes ammonia?

15. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

Seachem product that keeps water at 7.0. =)

16. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes, you can use Prime and then Seachem Stability as soon as 30 minutes later. I asked Seachem tech support before and that's what they said.

17. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Hmm, isnt it bad to regulate the water pH with chemicals rather than do it naturally?

18. OP
    OP
    z

I may have to pick a bottle of that up then, cause the tank is not cycled. I plan to run an already established filter along side the one I have on the 29

19. Tolak

TolakWell Known MemberMember

Don't know if you're backwards or I'm backwards. My tanks are drilled with overflows for water changes; self draining. Dosing before filling would just rinse Prime down the drain.

20. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

My logic is that, since some bacteria is stuck on the tank walls, if you were to fill with tap water, that small amount may die off. So I play it safe and dose it before the tap water starts pouring in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice