Seachem Prime Vs Api Stress Coat +

Sambit

Reaction score
Hello,

Which one is better? Both the description are similar but the Stress Coat says that its is reducess stress and heals fish. So i m wondering which one to get.

Thx

JJBriant

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I’m not sure about prime, but I use the api stress coat and all my fish are doing great with it. Haven’t had any negative things to say about it.

Magicpenny75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime. 2 drops per gallon makes it at the least a better value. Easier to measure also - stress coat always seemed sticky. Stress coat isn't bad, and it certainly won't hurt anything, but if your fish are healthy they don't really need help with their slime coat...

Giul

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I actually use both depending on the situation. For my usual water changes and for a cycling tank my first go to is prime. However, if I have a sick or injured fish then I will use API Stress Coat +. One day my sister’s pleco got stuck and looked terrible. We were afraid we were going to use him so while he healed I used the Stress Coat. Now that he’s thriving again I switched back to prime

DarkOne

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Repolie said:
https://www.fishlore.com/aquariumfishforum/threads/stress-coat-risks.373332/

With the information from the thread above, I'm sticking to my good ol' Prime.
I've posted in that thread too but it's basically one person's misinformed opinion and nothing more.

I use both like Giul. Prime for weekly water changes and Stress coat for injured or new fish. If I had to keep only one, I'd stick with Prime because it's more economical. Both are good products and both work well.

*Edit*
Just skimmed thru that thread again and they deleted my response which said that his whole "theory" is based on an assumption of what API uses in Stress coat.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Prime is used to treat your water. Stress coat is best to treat a new fish being added to a tank. I would add stress coat to the bag the fish is in while acclimateing to the tank. Or when adding it to a quarantine tank. But I haven’t used either in years and currently own neither.

MTV'sKribs

Valued Member
Reaction score
I like Prime. Used it for a few years before switching to Microbe-Lift Xtreme. I honestly don’t know why Microbe-Lift isn’t more popular than it is. Does everything that Prime does and more. I guess it could be the price point now that I think of it...

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom