Seachem Prime Or Seachem Safe?

Misstubbytubtub
I have read that Seachem Safe is cost effective because it's so highly concentrated, but it's apparently also difficult to measure for smaller tanks below 40 gallons. While I did order Prime, I'm really wondering if Safe is the better choice because it is a cheaper and longer lasting product. But the measuring process is quite confusing and makes me hesitant in buying it because I don't want to overdose my fish. What are your thoughts for a 55 gallon tank and has anyone else used it before?

DarkOne
Safe is better suited for tanks over 125g. It's highly concentrated and very hard to dose in anything smaller. It can't be diluted for later use. 500ml of Prime should last you more than 4 yrs on a 55 gallon with 20 gallon weekly water changes.

I use a 4" blunt needle on 5ml and 10ml syringes to dose Prime and plant ferts.

Misstubbytubtub
Safe is better suited for tanks over 125g. It's highly concentrated and very hard to dose in anything smaller. It can't be diluted for later use. 500ml of Prime should last you more than 4 yrs on a 55 gallon with 20 gallon weekly water changes.

I use a 4" blunt needle on 5ml and 10ml syringes to dose Prime and plant ferts.
I've been recently doing water changes almost every day or every other day to help with the ammonia spike (my tank accidentally is experiencing the new tank syndrome) and I went through my bottle of water conditioner within 2 or 3 weeks. I'm hoping this lasts me until this ordeal is over. 50 % water changes at least.

Misstubbytubtub
Just to add to this. I've been monitoring my water parameters and lately it's been Nitrite 0, Nitrate 10.0 to 25 ppm, Ammonia 0.25 ppm, pH 7.0/6.8. Temp fluctuates in room temp at around 15 to 23 C depending on day. Mainly consistent at 20 C.

DarkOne
You might be overdosing Prime. Even with daily 50% water changes, a 500ml bottle should last you 6 months.

Misstubbytubtub
I haven't been using prime. I've been using Top Fin water conditioner which is 5 ml per 10 ml iirc. This is the first time I'll be using prime since two years ago.

DarkOne
That makes more sense. Prime is 1ml per 10g. I also keep a bottle of Stress Coat on hand.

Goldiemom
I go through the Prime like water. I buy the large bottle, not the jug and it lasts about 3 weeks in my house. I have to do daily w/c's for the goldfish fry and do 2 w/c's a week in my other tanks. Of course, I do have 5 going right now and a pond. I probably overdose too though. Gets a little expensive.

DarkOne
I have a 75g, 40b, 2 - 20 gallon longs and a 10 gallon QT. Using a syringe helps prevent overdosing and is much more precise and not as messy as using the cap.

Misstubbytubtub
I have a 75g, 40b, 2 - 20 gallon longs and a 10 gallon QT. Using a syringe helps prevent overdosing and is much more precise and not as messy as using the cap.
So would you still suggest prime in this matter? Even with my frequent water changes?

Misstubbytubtub
I go through the Prime like water. I buy the large bottle, not the jug and it lasts about 3 weeks in my house. I have to do daily w/c's for the goldfish fry and do 2 w/c's a week in my other tanks. Of course, I do have 5 going right now and a pond. I probably overdose too though. Gets a little expensive.
That's why I'm considering the Seachem Safe. More cost effective but the dosing is what concerns me. People use 1/4 teaspoons which isn't much of an issue of course.

DarkOne
1/4 teaspoon of Safe treats 300g of tap water. It is not meant for small tanks.

Use Prime and get a syringe with a 4" blunt needle. Even if you treat the full 55 gallon every day, it will take you 3 months to use a 500ml bottle.

Misstubbytubtub
1/4 teaspoon of Safe treats 300g of tap water. It is not meant for small tanks.

Use Prime and get a syringe with a 4" blunt needle. Even if you treat the full 55 gallon every day, it will take you 3 months to use a 500ml bottle.
Thank you! I'll do that then. Btw, sorry for the change in topic but do you know where to get duckweed or water lettuce? I heard that they're good for goldfish and helps with the tank

Goldiemom
I don't know about duckweek, but water lettuce grows very fast and will cover the entire top of your tank. The goldies will also eat their roots off. I have to clean it out of my pond. IME, hornwort is the best plant to suck up nitrates and not get destroyed by goldfish.

DarkOne
Thank you! I'll do that then. Btw, sorry for the change in topic but do you know where to get duckweed or water lettuce? I heard that they're good for goldfish and helps with the tank

Misstubbytubtub
I don't know about duckweek, but water lettuce grows very fast and will cover the entire top of your tank. The goldies will also eat their roots off. I have to clean it out of my pond. IME, hornwort is the best plant to suck up nitrates and not get destroyed by goldfish.
I want the goldfish to eat them. I have never found a plant that was never uprooted by these cuties lol so I was hoping a floating plant like duckweed, frogwort? Or somewhere along those lines would work.

Misstubbytubtub
Thank you!

Smalltownfishfriend
Check your local greenhouse and nursery.. I am finding lots of nice water plants right now since it is in season!! Even Lowe's has some!!

Misstubbytubtub
Check your local greenhouse and nursery.. I am finding lots of nice water plants right now since it is in season!! Even Lowe's has some!!
I'll do it as soon as I can. I should've checked some at the aquarium when I was there yesterday =< but I was hoping duckweed would be sold cheap

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
EricV
Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
JLDJ
Replies
Views