Seachem Prime Odor

AnglerTheStrangler

Hey Everyone,

So I've been using Seachem Prime for awhile now and I've always noticed that it has a sulfur/egg smell. I recently bought a larger bottle and noticed that it's quite a bit stronger smelling then the bottles I've had in the past. Is this normal for it to smell so bad?

smaurer3076

Hey Everyone,

So I've been using Seachem Prime for awhile now and I've always noticed that it has a sulfur/egg smell. I recently bought a larger bottle and noticed that it's quite a bit stronger smelling then the bottles I've had in the past. Is this normal for it to smell so bad?

Every bottle I've used has smelled like that. Just a very stinky product I guess

KinsKicks

Prime contains Hydrosulfite salts (a reducer) that interacts mainly with chlromines (an oxidizer, not good for fish) as well as the chlorines, and the other chemicals to neutralize them.

It's sulfur based, hence the smell. (Also why eggs smell). It's completely normal!

Greg F

I believe the bottle says that sulphur smell is normal..

Discusluv

It makes me gag every-time...

AnglerTheStrangler

I believe the bottle says that sulphur smell is normal..

Yeah it does.. my question was is it normal for one bottle to smell significantly stronger then another.

Boy does it ever!

Every bottle I've used has smelled like that. Just a very stinky product I guess

Very stinky!!

smaurer3076

My bottle would leak onto my hand whenever I shook it and my hand would REEK! But then I started putting a paper towel over the top and that worked

Bruxes and Bubbles

Some bottles smell like nothing, and others smell like something died in there. Luck of the draw.

Bleu

Yes, that is normal, it even says on the bottle that the smell is normal. When I bought my first bottle, the stench was so bad, I had spilled only a tiny bit, and put some in the tank, and the entire room stunk so bad to where you couldn't even walk in the room, no perfume.. Or Febreze would get out. The room was basically an egg smelling gas chamber to where my dog wouldn't even come inside.

I noticed after several weeks though the sulfur smell died down, like it stills smells horrible... But not AS bad as before and if I were to use it, I don't smell it at all like before.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
brook.lyn
Replies
Views
Kyleena696
Replies
Views
FreshFishes
Replies
Views