Seachem Phosguard - How To Use?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by TinaJen, Oct 5, 2018.

1. TinaJen

TinaJenNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    2 years
    I have a brown algae problem so I bought this phosguard and was told to put the pouch in my filter media but it's not working and I think it's because with the pouch and the filter cartridge both being in there it's a tight fit and the water isn't able to go through either one of them properly so was I supposed to remove the filter part and just leave the seachem pouch? It's a hanging filter media for a 30 gallon tank.

2. bitseriously

bitseriouslyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,322
    Experience:
    1 year
    Does your filter have a large open media area, like the aquaclears, or does it take a pre-made cartridge? Can you share a pic?

I used PhosGuard in a tank that only had a sponge filter and an internal pump to move water. I placed the bag of PhosGuard in an area where it would get decent circulation around it, and it worked. If you do this, make sure the bag you use isn't stuffed to full, and that the pellets have room to move around in the bag, for better circulation of tank water through the bag.

3. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +3,195
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Diatoms (aka Brown Algae) is different than green algae It is actually a silicate based form of algae. So I do not think that removing phosphates will have any effect on them. You really need to get rid of the silicates in the water to kill brown algae off. Diatoms are short lived and your tank will be rid of them on it's own in time.

4. OP
    OP
    TinaJen

TinaJenNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    2 years
    Okay thank you

It's a pre-made cartridge set filter media. I just don't think I have enough room for the pouch.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2018
  5. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,697
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Phosfates are needed as well. So don't remove if you didn't test or they aren't high