Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Seachem Paraguard Issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrandonGSP, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BrandonGSPNew MemberMember

Hello,

I'm in the middle of treating my green spotted puffers with Seachem paraguard. After the first dose of treatment I noticed one of my GSP's was lethargic and hanging around the top of the tank. Further, I noticed there is a blackish red substance coming out of it's gills. At first glance I thought I was having an ammonia spike that was causing this fish stress. Did a water test and everything was fine. I did an emergency 30% water change. I also turned back on my carbon media reactor to remove as much of the medication as possible. Has anyone else experienced this when using paraguard? All my other fish appear to be fine.

Thanks in advance

2. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Paraguard has glutaraldehyde in it which is a strong irritant and has been trialed as a fish poison.

On the other hand, many ich medications have formalin in it which somewhat similar to glutaraldehyde. Is it safer? I don't know but it's more commonplace.

IMO, the safest ich treatments are:
    1. UV
    2. Metronidazole in food
    3. Quinine in food

3. BrandonGSPNew MemberMember

Thanks for the information about Paraguard.

I wasn't treating a specific disease on my GSP's. Since GSP's like most puffers are wild caught they tend to be more likely to be carriers of parasites. I've stopped treatment and am hoping the GSP will make a come back.

4. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Oh, in that case stopping is definitely the right call.

The old school ich treatments (formalin + malachite green, heat and/or salt) are all stressful to fish and really just hope to kill the ich before killing your fish. Definitely not worth the risk unless you definitely have external parasites (Paraguard will only treat external parasites).