Seachem Or Marineland?

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Andrewd19, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Andrewd19

Andrewd19New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Right now I am debating either between the Seachem Tidal 75 or the Marineland Emperor 400. The tidal 75 sounds nice because of the surface skimming, adjustable flow rate , and self cleaning impeller and because the matrix reduces nitrates. The emperor 400 sounds like a good option because of the two bio-wheels and filter pads and cartridges for other media. I was thinking about getting the emperor and putting matrix in the spaces and carbon in the cartridges, does this sound like a good idea? Would love if someone could help point me in the right direction.

2. Morpheus1967

Morpheus1967Well Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +636
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    The tidal 75 is a great filter because of the built in surface skimmer and there is a TON of room for biological filtration media. I have a tidal 55 on my 20 gallon and it's awesome. Btw, not only does the filter have an adjustable flow rate, so does the skimmer. And this thing is the quietest hob filter I have ever used.

3. Mongo75

Mongo75Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +243
    I just bought the Tidal 55 to replace my Penguin 150 in my 20g. I just don't care for the Marineland design of all the water flowing from the top and not knowing what's actually getting circulated throughout the filter. The Tidals (as do the AquaClears) pump from the bottom up, so you know all your media it seeing it's fair share of water.

Just my $.02

4. OP
    OP
    Andrewd19

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the info, they both seem like great filters, I’m torn between the two. I’m also wondering if both of the filters would be too long for my aqueon led light good, it would make sense if it was set to fit aqueon filters. Here is a picture I found online of what mine looks like. The largest cut out is around 15 inches so I was wondering how long the tidal 75 is and if it wound fit. If both filters are too long how should I cut it the hood.

Attached Files:

5. Cichlidude

CichlidudeWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    How big a tank??? The Tidal 75 is about 10 inches wide.

Tidal Filter Benefits

I might suggest a Seachem Tidal filters for just some of the following advantages:

The Seachem Tidal filters have these advantages over all other HOB filters.

1. A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.

2. Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.

3. Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.

4. If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket ever gets clogged it has a slightly higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.

5. Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media cage up possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.

6. Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy just cleaning using the lid as a no spill carrying tray. No need to turn the filter off either just remove the basket.

7. Self priming w/submerged under water pump so it’s quiet and you never have to worry about it not starting recovering from maintenance or a power failure, especially if you are not home.

8. Includes the best media, Seachem Matrix, that handles 100 gallons that can harbor anaerobic bacteria needed to reduce Nitrates.

9. Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.

Use Google and search ‘do biowheels really work’ for pages of information on why they may not be the best choice. Select the first one.

do biowheels really work - Google Search

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  6. kallililly1973

kallililly1973Fishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +3,108
    Experience:
    2 years
    you can cut the hood easily with a hacksaw blade or a dremel if it doesn't fit. I'm an AquaClear guy. But the Tidals also sound very nice.

7. OP
    OP
    Andrewd19

Ratings:
    +1
    Th
    thanks for the great info, I have a 45 gallon aquarium with 2 red belly piranhas. The tidal 75 sounds like a good filter because the piranhas will get very messy when they get older and it sounds like it can handle them.

8. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    The Tidal 75 is perfect for your 45 gallon. See here on how to customize Seachem Tidal filters.

Easy Basket Customize For Seachem Tidal Filters

9. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +753
    Experience:
    4 years
    I'd lean towards the SeaChem.

I personally use AquaClear on my tanks that use HOBs and think they're great. I don't have any experience with SeaChem or Marineland filters. But I can tell you that SeaChem is a fantastic company. All of their conditioners, ferts, substrate, etc. are very high quality and not too expensive. They're not cheap, but they're not a ripoff either. Everyone in the hobby will agree they make good stuff at fair prices.

Marineland on the other hand makes great, cheap tanks. 2 of my 4 tanks are Marineland and I'm very happy with them. The tanks work, look nice, and feel high quality. But a lot of their other stuff is cheap and doesn't last. I bought the kits for those two tanks that came with a hood and light. The lights aren't very good. The plastic hood is pretty low quality, but the glass hood is pretty nice.

So given my experience with the two companies, I'd lean towards SeaChem. Marineland has its place, but their products just don't see as high quality to me. And the filter is the most important piece of equipment you buy, so you probably want to go with the higher quality one.

10. Mongo75

Ratings:
    +243
    This is from their web site. Looks like it will take up about 9.5 inches of your hood.

Tidal 75
    Unit
    Length: 9 ⅜ in (23.4 cm)
    Width: 7 in (17.8 cm)
    Height: 9 ½ in (24.2 cm)

Media Chamber
    Length: 9 ⅜ in (23.9 cm)
    Width: 3 in (7.6 cm)
    Height: 7 in (18 cm)

Wall Clearance
    3 ½ in (8.5 cm)

Tank Trim Clearance
    1 5⁄16 (3.3 cm)

Internal Tank Clearance
    1 ¾ in (4.3 cm)

11. Islandvic

IslandvicWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,618
    Experience:
    1 year
    @Andrewd19 , welcome to the forum.

Kensfish.com has the larger Tidal 110 for $63 on sale, no tax and free s&h.

Go big !

12. Cichlidude

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I keep forgetting that!

13. Mongo75

Ratings:
    +243
    That's why I bought my Tidal 55, lol. Between it and sponge filter I wanted, shipping was free and I got what I wanted. I just didn't like all the over priced Chinese knockoffs Amazon was offering for the sponge, so I ended up supporting the small business guy plus getting what I wanted.